I almost set the house on fire today. I was making sausage rolls and had turned the trays around so they would cook evenly and accidentally dropped the oven mitt inside the oven and did not realise it. How? I don't know. Obviously I wasn't thinking. I was sitting resting up when I smelled burning. I thought it was the sausage rolls. Nope. I opened the oven to see the mitt on the bottom of the oven. It was sort of melded to the bottom! I did manage to save the sausage rolls (which were thankfully done). When I opened the door smoke billowed out. Thick smoke. I quickly shut the door again, turned off the oven and disabled the smoke detector. I didn't want to 'feed' the fire (it wasn't really a fire, more like a little ember). I had to open all the windows as the smoke was quite thick.
I'm so thankful it wasn't worse. I thought I had killed the stove. I cringed when I told hubby. I'm quite forgetful though how it happened - what twit drops an oven mitt inside the oven - I don't know. Luckily he took it in his stride. When he came home he scraped off the mitt and cleaned it all up. Yeah for hubby.
A photo that made me smile.
He was quite brave and stopped to stare at me. His antlers are starting to grow back. I love it when they are like this. They look so furry. In my mind I think they would be quite soft to touch, but I'm betting I'd be disappointed to actually feel one.
I hope everyone had a good Tuesday and didn't do anything as stupid as I did.
Oh no! So glad you caught it in time! That's pretty scary. I set a pan of bacon drippings on fire once, by turning on the wrong burner. It's amazing how much smoke is generated, isn't it? Such a nice hubby....Great shot of the deer! x KarenReplyDelete
I've turned on the wrong burner before too!Delete
Glad you caught it in time and nothing bad happened. I have often forgotten and left things boiling dry on top of the stove! Glad your husband was able to scrape the burnt mitt off!ReplyDelete
I was glad too - I didn't want to fork out for a new oven!Delete
Relieved it turned out as it did, it could have been a whole lot worse. I once left a plastic container on a hot hob, you can imagine the smell and the state of the cooker.ReplyDelete
Yikes. I am so glad I'm not the only one. I felt quite stupid!Delete
I see your blog daily, it is crispy to study.ReplyDelete
Your blog is very useful for me & i like so much...
Thanks for sharing the good information!