Usually tonight there are lots of celebrations going on. We're usually pretty quiet here apart from watching those celebrations and my near midnight call with Mum. I can't help having mixed feelings this year. A part of me is glad to say goodbye to 2020 but a part of me knows that maybe (at least the first half) of next year might not be a lot different. I'm sad and angry seeing the number of deaths this virus has caused. Almost 350,000. Every one of those had family and friends who are missing them. My friend's dad lost his life early in the pandemic. I want to close the door on this year and wash my hands of it. Sadly it doesn't work that way. I am going to close the door on what I've classed as failures this year, try not to be too hard on myself and move forward.
I was looking back and there were some things I did this year. Not great, fantastic things, but I was pleased that I completed them!
* 366 photo challenge. At the beginning of the year I signed up for a photo-a-day challenge. I made a theme of Things That Make Me Smile - A Year in Phone Photos. I didn't know at the beginning of the year what a challenge it would be to smile each day. I did it. I tried (and succeeded) in finding at least one thing that made me smile each day. I have completed the challenge!! For those who read this blog regularly know how much I struggle at sticking to anything so this is feels like a good accomplishment. I've signed up for again for 2021.
* Back Button Focus. This is a photography thing. A big one in my book! Instead of using the shutter button to focus you use another button on your camera. It is (and I feel does) supposed to help with the sharpness of photos. You can focus and then recompose your shot. It takes a bit (lot) of getting used to. I felt like giving up at points, but I kept going and now use it exclusively. I find it has really helped in my photography especially the wildlife photography.
* Photoshop I'm still working on this one but I've been quite pleased with working with textures and photos, a technique I really like. I've been working on this throughout the year and feel as though I might be ready to think about selling some of my stuff.
* Book Decluttering I really feel as though I've done quite well with this one though I still have a long way to go. I haven't brought that many books into the house either - that one is a positive result of Covid. I haven't been able to use the used bookshop this year lol.
* GoodReads Challenge I completed my goal of reading 100 books this year! I actually read 117 (that I kept track of. Yah!
Okay so it's not a great list, but I thought the year had been a total failure and it hasn't. There have been a few little wins. I'm hoping next year will be better!
This is the photo I'm using for my cover album of my 365 Photo Challenge