These are some phone photos I took of the cabin
We had a great time hanging out. There were some really good trails around (we've walked at the park before) but our experience of really, really bad ticks along the river trail (and how hot it was) made us rethink taking those kinds of walks and we mainly walked the dogs through the campground. It is a really beautiful park though and has a nice historic trail.
This is a little snippet about the park
Crow Wing State Park is a state park of Minnesota, United States, at the confluence of the Mississippi and Crow Wing Rivers. The park interprets the site of Old Crow Wing, one of the most populous towns in Minnesota in the 1850s and 1860s. The entire park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. A section of the Red River Trails that passed through Old Crow Wing is also separately listed on the National Register.
I woke up quite early in the mornings (very snorey husband and son!) so I decided to take a little drive to the boat launch and sit there in peace for a little while. Daughter and I had taken a look at it the night before and it looked like a lovely place to see the sunrise and sunset. It overlooked the Mississippi River and I couldn't go to Minnesota without at least taking a photo of the river!
As I drove the short distance from the campground in the park to the boat launch (also in the park) a bear crossed right in front of the car!! I was really excited as it was my first time seeing a bear up close (I had seen one a couple of years ago alongside the road in Minnesota as we drove). I didn't get a photo though.
It was so very peaceful sitting there in the morning. I could hear nothing but the birds. I saw a beaver walk from the shore to the water and start swimming, some herons and some turtles.
After I had been sitting for a while I spotted something in the water a little up the river. It took me a moment to realise it was another bear! It was crossing from the opposite side of the river and swimming along.
What a treat to see! I've always wanted to see one.
The next morning while I was there, I saw another one (a little further away), lots of herons, an eagle and a loon swam right in front of me!
So worth going down there in the morning to get my nature fix - a great way to start the day!
The rest of the time we relaxed with the family and I played with Aurora. She had a great time though she didn't want to go to bed! I hope we can go camping with them again!







Real live bears! What a place. I followed up the links in your post, very interesting history.
ReplyDelete