Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Decluttering Totals and an Interesting Advice Column!

Yikes, the totals for June were not good, but everything leaving is a good thing, right? And I am really taking a look at what I am bringing in especially for the reselling. There's a fine line between hoarding and having some inventory!

Books 17

Magazines 6

Misc.  6

Crafting 8

Sad, sad total 37

This is the column I read while scrolling one morning. I thought it was an interesting dilemma and a good answer. It's definitely one I struggle with!







Back soon. 


16 comments:

  1. WE all struggle with it, we have been sorting and using most of our best stuff, daughter won't want it and I don't want to leave her a house bursting with stuff, I keep that thought as I sort, it's powerful enough to keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep that in mind, but I still find it really difficult! I know none of this stuff means anything to anybody but me

      Delete
  2. Every year I set my decluttering target as
    2 bags (size deliberately unspecified) of stuff (deliberately not quantified) to leave the house every month.
    If I haven't got much, I just spread it between 2 smaller bags... frankly 2 paper bags each containing 1 object would meet the target so I never fail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 37 items decluttered is nothing to sneeze at! You exceeded an item a day, which is what I have been trying to go for. It is really, really difficult to give away items with memories attached to them. I'm still holding on to various items because they have memories attached to them. But, I've told my daughter that she doesn't have to keep them when I am no longer around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is those things I struggle with the most and I don't expect the children to hang onto them.

      Delete
  4. Someone else's memories cannot be passed on, but treasured mementoes are triggers for memory. The advice given is good, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids were brutal with my husband's domain, the garage. It could use another brutal go through but at least now, two cars can park in it. I know the advice is spot on, but it's still hard to purge. My kids want nothing and I have way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard to get rid of things. I struggle. A lot. Sometimes I think it would be easier if someone came in and got rid of the whole lot so I started with a blank slate, but life isn't that way. I still have lots of things the children made when they were little.
    Someone in my photography club has many, many things from her childhood and she decided to take proper photos of them and compile the photos in an album before getting rid of the actual stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice on the decluttering from Annie. Hope your weekend is enjoyable and not too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back in 2016 I decluttered to the tune of 90 percent of my stuff went out. People are not things. Things are not people. It takes a moment to truly feel that and when that hits, it all comes together and letting go becomes easy. We are not things. Things are not us. Wishing you the best on your decluttering journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow! My goal is about 75% but I'm a long way from that. I try to tell myself to just get rid of it, but I still struggle.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.