Pages

Friday, October 25, 2019

Friday

Wow, that's another week almost gone. I'm struggling with the dark mornings, nights and the cloudiness. I love Autumn, but I don't like winter. I really seem to struggle then. The days we have sun seem to get less and less and there seems to be so much more cloud around. I miss being able to get out walking and taking photos. It isn't quite the same when it's cloudy. I really need to find more indoor photography projects as taking photos keeps me sane and happy.

Work seems to be picking up for husband and the son that's still here at home. It always seems to do that at this time of year. Son had to work last weekend, is on 9 hour days and probably has to work this weekend too. It makes him (understandably) a little cranky. Husband is working 9+ hour days and won't know until today whether he has to work this weekend. If he works we will have to miss our weekend walk - though the weather (surprise?) doesn't look too promising anyway.

I got out yesterday for a walk despite the cloudiness, but I'm not sure about today. I was hoping to go to photograph colours, but they just aren't done justice when it's dull and cloudy so that might have to wait. I did get a start on Christmas shopping yesterday - just a couple of bits - some bags at the $ store and an item for daughter. It will be November next week and I don't want to leave it all until the last minute. We are going to visit daughter mid-December so will be taking gifts with us then as we won't see her at Christmas. It's so expensive to post things! Speaking of which - I looked at how much it would be to send a box to Mum at Christmas when I was at the post office the other week. I was so shocked! I know postage has gone up, but the increase in these boxes is just ridiculous and they don't seem to do slow package mail internationally anymore. For a large box they want $94.25. YIKES!!! Even for the flat rate envelope they want $36. Not too long ago it was about $15. No wonder people aren't using the post office!!! I try to send her things for Christmas which would almost mean shopping locally, but I don't know if I can afford it. Seems easier (and cheaper) just to order things from England and have them shipped to her for nothing. I'll have to seriously think on it. I will send the calendar which in itself would be quite expensive as it's handmade and has embellishments on it, but I shall try to watch the weight.

Sorry for the moan.

I seem to have been up forever. I couldn't sleep any longer and was having bad leg/feet cramps and got tired of jumping out of bed so I just got up. First load of wash is in, I've actually had breakfast and done a bit of tidying up. This is going to be a loooong day!

Photo of the day - I got sidetracked watching these little birds pinch peanuts I had up on the deck to give to the chipmunks when they came up to where I was sitting. They are usually quite shy, but once they found where I was keeping the peanuts they kept coming really close. Some of the peanuts are almost as big as they are! What's he thinking?




10 comments:

  1. It's absolutely filthy here today Sharon. There is heavy rain but the first snows have been forecast for up north.
    Andy and I have just got back from the garden centre where we went to look at the Christmas displays which are quite disappointing this year. One large table has been dedicated to festive loo roll 8(
    That little bird is so cute.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our daughter and family live in Australia and to post to them and the same for them to us is horrendous now. We do vouchers or order in Australia to be sent to them. They do vouchers for us or buy a gift and have sent free.
    The Post Office has ruined it for families trying to send abroad now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will agree, this dark gloomy days are draining. Yes!! Postage is outrageous! I love the little bird pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon,
    I've been reading your blog for a couple of years but haven't commented before. I'm an expat also. I'm originally from Manchester but have lived in Wisconsin for many years. I think that's why I enjoy your blog because we have something in common.
    I usually go home every year to visit my Mum and stepdad. I hear you about the price of postage. I have stopped sending parcels home. Usually when I'm home I buy gift cards for the local shops and a few presents and leave them there. They assure me they don't open them :) Last year I ordered a hamper for them from Amazon.co.uk and I was happy that I could order from here and they converted the pounds into dollars so I wasn't charged an exchange fee. So that may be an option for you. I'm thinking of doing it again this year. Otherwise it will be money which is so impersonal but at least they get what they like.
    I hope you get out for a walk this weekend. It's supposed to be nice here but the rain makes a return next week. That bird is adorable.
    My name is Jo by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and for the comment! It's always nice to hear from someone in the same position as myself. Sometimes it feels quite lonely.

      I did buy gift cards and some books for Mum's birthday as I left just the week before her birthday. I should probably do that for Christmas too. I was hoping to at least send her the homemade calendar I make for her. I've been doing it for a lot of years as she wasn't around so much to see my children grow up. I still take photos of them but with them grown it gets more difficult each year. I'm not sure what I'll do for Christmas yet. It seems a waste spending that much on postage when I could be spending it on her!

      Delete
  5. That's a great photo of the little bird eyeing that peanut!

    Those dark, cloudy fall/winter days are not much fun, are they? I am glad that we've bright sunshine and warm days, still! Mailing things are quite costly, these days. I send Christmas boxes to my nieces who are out of state and, often, find that I spend more on postage than on the gifts inside (often, homemade things)! I am thinking of sending gift cards, instead, but, ordering online and having them shipped directly might be an option, too.

    Sounds like your husband and son will be busy with work over the next several days. Hope they do get a break to relax a bit, though. Hope the weekend ahead will be a good one for you and them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I'm jealous of your warm days, but I love the changing of the seasons. We lived in New Mexico for a year when I first came to America and I hated not having the seasons. I suppose I shall just put up with it knowing that the seasons will come again!

      Delete
  6. Dropping in to add massive hugs because you are awesome. Also, your pictures rock! That is such a cutie. Is it a jay? I remember seeing a wildlife programme about birds' memory that jays hide food in the autumn to see them through the winter. Perhaps they are stashing the peanuts for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa. It's a Tufted Titmouse apparently. I invested in a little bird book just so I could look up the garden visitors. I wonder if they are saving them somewhere. I know that the chipmunks do. I keep imagine a little burrow system with stacks of peanuts all ready for winter. I wish I was could draw (can't even draw a decent stick figure) so I could draw what I imagine their burrows are like. I can see it quite clearly in my head lol.

      Delete
  7. I thinking ordering from English sites is a great way to go. Do you have anyone near to her that you could send them to and ask them to wrap it up nicely and pop it round to her (you paying for the paper, etc, of course)? Nearly $100 is absolutely shocking!

    I'm not surprised you're not looking forward to winter - last year is was long and hard, wasn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.