Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Walking - Milkweed

When I'm out walking I see lots of lovely things. Nature is really quite beautiful, even this time of year when the trees are finally bare and there isn't a lot of colour around.

One of my favourite things to see are these lovely milkweed plants. In the summer the flowers are really lovely, but it's at this time of year that I really think they look beautiful. The pods open up and fluffy fuzz pours out along with these lovely brown seeds. They looks so soft (and feel that way too!).  I did buy myself a little Michigan wildflower book so I could look up plants when I saw them.

My book says: There are over 2000 milkweed species worldwide, 12 in Michigan. A unique pollination system involves sacs of pollen that snag on an insect's leg; the insect then unwittingly inserts the sacs into slits on other flowers. The plant's milky sap contains cardiac glycosides and, if eaten, will cause hot flashes, rapid heart rate and general weakness. The Monarch butterfly lays its eggs exclusively on milkweeds. Monarch caterpillars ingest the toxic sap with no ill effects, but they then become toxic to birds and other animals. Fibers from old stems are used by orioles for making nests.



5 comments:

  1. I didn't know some of that - cool. Here in the good ol usa, during WWII the milkweed plant almost went extinct as it was used to stuff life vests and such for the soldiers. At least that's the story my dad told me. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sharon, what stunning pictures of the milkweed - pin sharp - I love the texures in them - really beautiful, so fluffy. Interesting commentary on the milkweed too. It's got a lot of hidden things going on, hasn't it? I agree that you see many fascinating things when walking - the small things I find can be just as interesting as the bigger ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully clear photos of a fascinating plant. Thanks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos of the milkweed seeds and silks. Did you know that, although the milkweed plant is toxic because of the sap, the young milkweed pods, before they open, are edible? I read that in a wild plant foraging book when I was in Wisconsin and picked some very young milkweed pods and cooked and ate them! I've lived to tell the tale! I can't remember if they had a distinct taste or not - I don't think they did; I added them to a tomato based pasta sauce that I made. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.