Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2021

Thanksgiving Day

The wind here in Michigan has taken the last of the leaves off the trees. Now comes a horrible time of year, when everything is mostly grey and dull, before the snow comes (well, we might get a little tonight) and chilly. Today was wet and rainy. I didn't go for a walk at all. It is Thanksgiving here in the US. Not really feeling in a holiday sort of mood. There is a lot I have to be thankful for, but my heart is still a little raw. Been a tearful few days again. I don't think the horrible weather helps either. Usually I'd complain to Mum about the weather and if she had sunshine she said she'd send me some. Though talking to my sister there was supposed to be high winds in Ipswich this weekend anyway. 

We did go over to MIL's to eat. Really small get-together. My middle son had to work so it was just five of us. We didn't get together for Thanksgiving last year  and since our last Thanksgiving meal we've lost three people who used to come for the meal - Jane and two neighbours of in-laws.  We did pack up some food and drove the 50 miles to drop some food off for son. 


My MIL makes some delicious pies - the top one is apple (my favourite) and the bottom is pecan (husband's favourite).  

This evening I am spending time snuggling under a blanket and watching some Hi-de-Hi on Britbox to (hopefully) make me laugh!


10 comments:

  1. A blessed Thanksgiving to you, Sharon. The holidays are the worst when we've recently lost our loved ones, aren't they? It's worse when the weather is miserable, too. I'm glad you were able to join your MIL for this Thanksgiving and her pies look delicious! Pecan pie is my daughter's favorite, but, we are planning to make an apple pie, instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and the weather certainly doesn't help! I love apple pie - it's my favourite!

      Delete
  2. Your sister is so right about our weather here today (friday) and the weekend - the forecast is horrible - so your Mum would have had no sun to send you at all.
    ((hugs)) from Suffolk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it wasn't too bad. We have freezing rain right now. Yuck.

      Delete
  3. It's raining here in Bramford so I shall go to the supermarket later and buy a red Poinsettia to cheer myself up. x Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I am thinking of getting one just to brighten up the house a little.

      Delete
  4. I totally understand your heart not being in it this year. I know you must be feeling very raw still. Give it time and remember the happy times with your mum and gradually the pain of loss will numb a little. I'm sending you a gentle hug... with my mask on of course x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pies look amazing. I never have to bake pies, my sister in law does, but I do the turkey. It was a windly blustery day here as well. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a really good pie maker - I don't even try as I know mine wouldn't come close to hers lol. I did the potatoes lol

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.