I thought after that I would practise following a pattern doing different stitches.
This one was supposed to be basketweave. The pattern turned out really nicely but it was really loose! I worked out why - I used the wrong size needles! I was looking at mm size and not the number size. Yikes. Guess that's a lesson learned. It was a dishcloth pattern and will be used as such. I have learned my lesson and will look more carefully as needle size.
Hard to see but this is a stockinette stitch with garter edge. Another attempt to follow pattern. I should have added more rows than it said as not square, more of a rectangle. Another lesson learned.
I am doing another scarf. This one in a basketweave pattern knitted with correct needle size! I will get the hang of this. After this scarf I am going to practise some increasing/decreasing stitches.