Pages

Friday, February 22, 2019

Sometimes...just thinking...

Sometimes I wonder how it would be to live somewhere so desolate during the winter months. Last week when we went up to the U.P of Michigan we stopped on the way back at the Mission Point Lighthouse. It is out on the Old Mission Peninsula. There isn't much around it. I think how it must have been for the lighthouse keepers in the past to be in such a isolated place, not being able to go anywhere, worrying whether their provisions would carry them through the long winter. I think about what it would be to live in such a place now. Sometimes I think about spending a winter in isolation, wandering out on the land and taking photos. It's just a dream, but still...


This is the view of Lake Michigan. If it was in summer I would be standing in the lake to take this photo. But not now.  As far as the eye could see there was snow and ice, perhaps just the beginnings of the unfrozen lake in the distance. It was really cold standing here. The wind was blowing and bitterly cold despite the lovely blue skies and sunshine. So beautiful. 

This weekend looks to be changeable weather, another Winter Storm Watch in the making. No sunshine in sight, though we have been treated to plenty in the last couple of days (of course not on the weekend!). We'll try to get out. I will be happy as long as I can take some photos. If nothing else, I shall put out some nuts as a treat to the birds and try to take some fun photos. 

Enough rambling...just thinking.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

6 comments:

  1. One would need to be very self-sufficient, I would imagine. Would it be one person on her own? Would there be electricity and/or a phone connection? I could live without electricity if there was a way to cook my food (wood stove, perhaps?) and a way to keep warm, especially in the winter. But, I would need to be able to contact emergency help, if needed, especially if here is a medical emergency! What if I fell and broke a leg while I was out and about, or had a heart attack? I'd want to be able to get help, if that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to be on my own but I don't think I would enjoy extreme isolation. It's a comfort to know that others are around in case of need. And I'd need planty of crafting to keep me occupied - that would be good!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure that I would enjoy complete isolation but it certainly gets you thinking about how supplies needed for the Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my own company but would probably struggle with complete isolation.

    I love your photo. Now the photography possibilities in an isolated spot could possibly change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, the older I get the better that sounds. Yes, we were blessed with a beautifull day here yesterday, spring bird's songs were in the air. I ran into the grocery along with many, mnany others - stocking up for the 8-12" on the way.....I'm happy if I can needle felt and bake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few weeks of not having to please anyone but myself would be a wonderful thing but I'm not sure I could cope for any longer.
    Still jealous of your snow....lol.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.