Pages

Friday, April 19, 2019

Books

I love books. I love reading. I have a Kindle, but there is no comparison to a physical book. There is just something about them. I love browsing the bookshop, reading the backs of books and even taking a peek inside. I love reading to learn new things, brush up on old things or to escape to a new romance or solve a mystery or even living in fantasy land. Which brings me to my problem - I have a lot of books. Some of them are old friends, others are waiting to be read. I really want to get rid of some - and have managed to donate/resell quite a few - but I'm struggling to let go of more.

I pull out a whole bunch, read the backs and decide it's something I really want to read. The problem is that there are so many of them! Grrr…am I the only one that has this problem? I suppose there could be worse things than being a book-a-holic, but they certainly take up space! I suppose I could keep going as I am, making sure to read them and then let them go but it seems so...slow. Or I could just purge completely - though that would not be easy at all.

Anybody have any tips? If you're a booklover, how do you decide what to keep or let go of? Do you have lots of books in your house?

The good news - I did take two bags and two small boxes of books to the library on Thursday! Woo!


12 comments:

  1. I used to hold onto books like my life depended on it but now I have no problems letting go. There are a couple I keep as I like to read them at Christmas but any new ones I buy get read and go off to the charity shop.
    Even cookery and craft books go if I find I don't use them any more.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Good for you! I wish I could bring myself to do that.

      Delete
  2. I started placing the books on the shelves in the order I acquired them. Although they were all books I ‘wanted’ to read, I soon realised that each time I chose my next book it was always from the newer end and the ones I’d had the longest were never selected. In the end I had a good clear out and donated to the charity shop and/or friends. I have one shelf of treasured books that I want to keep (school prizes, HP collection) and I allow myself the other two shelves in the bookcase for books I acquire. My sister passes all her books to me and each time I get a box load, I clear out some of the ones I haven’t got round to reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. Unfortunately I have more books than I have more books than bookshelves so books tend to get tucked away in nooks and crannies. It's the reason I want to get rid of a lot. That does sound like something I'd want to do when/if I do get things to a manageable amounts.

      Delete
  3. good luck. Getting rid of stuff isn't my strong suit either - that is with my own stuff - I can clean out, set up estate sales and sell like no ones business when it comes to others.....tehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books, too, and I, too, find it hard to get rid of them! I have stopped buying books and will only borrow from the library, now. I have read almost all of the books on my shelves, but still hold onto them! I have told myself that I am going to re-read a few and then, donate them. Until then, they may stay on my shelves! By the way, I have a total of 8 bookcases in my house! 5 of them are tall (5 shelves or more), 3 of them are short (3 shelves, each) and, in addition, I've two wall mounted shelves of books, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to stop buying them. The good thing is that I rarely buy new ones (only a few special authors), most are used books. I have a lot of bookshelves too. I think if I was by myself I'd have even more but I've got to leave husband some space lol

      Delete
  5. I love my books and do have trouble getting rid of them. But - I do have limited space so - some of the mysteries that I know I won't read again I now pass along to a friend - with instructions that she in turn passes them along. I am also using the library more - but it is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like knowing others will read them. I do pass some to MIL and a friend. I find it difficult to let them go though. I might want to read/re-read them someday!

      Delete
  6. I think the answer is 'with the greatest difficulty'. I have a stack of them in the car boot at the moment, ready to drop off at the local charity shop, if time permits.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello. I have bought only one book since being made redundant in 2009. My public library and its online books provide enough to keep me going. Recently in preparation for retirement I have significantly downsized my "library". I still want to cull my recipe books and then that job will be crossed off the list. Every day I am thankful for a great library system.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.