Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Random Questions

I keep meaning to ask these questions and keep forgetting - perhaps another sign I'm either going crazy or just getting old.

First Question: Do you eat leftovers the next night?

For most of the recipes I cook there ends up being too much of it. Most of the time there is just enough for husband's lunch that he can take to work or (if it's a veggie version) I'll eat it. However once in a while there is more than an extra lunch. Not sure what I should do with it. My family has never been one for eating one night's dinner as the next night's too. It just wasn't how we did things growing up or when I had kids. I cooked enough for one meal as did Mum. If possible I would freeze but (organised I'm not) probably wouldn't be eaten. I am really trying to cut down on food waste so wondered how other people deal with it. I really try not to keep serving the same food over and over, but maybe I'm overthinking things. (?). Sometimes I feel we should just be grateful we have a problem as too much food sometimes. I really don't mind eating the same thing several times as I tend to do that anyway.

Second Question : How do you feel about cutting up books?

This is a really random question. I love books. I have a lot of them. People that regularly read my blog hear me go on about it all the time. Anyway, I've been doing some journal making and watching videos of people making junk journals. I really like the idea of them. However, some of them use books to make them, pulling apart pages and cutting covers. I'm not sure how I feel about cutting books up. Just thinking about it makes me feel a little guilty. I bought one at the $ shop to cut out the pages so I could use the cover and it's sitting in my craft room as I bought it. I'd really love to give them a try. I watched a YouTube video today that used a Little Golden Book (lots of Disney type cheap Children books).

That's it. Told you they were random questions.

Photo today - a quick make Christmas card. I did finish a little mini book (pages, but not filled) but want to take some half decent photos and the light wasn't so good. I made this from die cut decoupage so it is dimensional.




7 comments:

  1. I cut apart my art history textbook and made a decoupage collage out of many well known works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting questions.
    1. It depends on the leftovers. If it is another whole portion of protein, yes, I do freeze it for another time, if possible and safe to do so. If it's a few vegetables, I will use them as part of something else - soup, maybe, potato and veg patties or whatever. SOmetimes I'll reheat it for lunch the next day. And sometimes I deliberately do lots more as a batch cook and that's definitely for portioning out and freezing. I try not to throw away anything though, unless it's necessary.

    2. I have to admit, cutting up books does not sit comfortably with me but if I had bought a pre-read book, maybe from a charity shop or sale, for the prupose of re-using in something different and lovely, maybe I would overcome any scruples. It's just a way of recycling and repurposing, isn't it?

    Love the card.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leftovers - yes. I usually cook enough for several days and will eat the same thing several nights in a row. Sometimes, I will freeze the leftovers and have it a week or two later.

    Cutting up books - I think it is fine to repurpose books and have been considering it, myself. Not to make junk journals, but, to make those stamped books (paint the covers and stamp sayings on the spines). Why not? If you do make a junk journal, I hope you'll share your crafting with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question 1: Yes, or it goes to the chickens they eat it!
    Question 2: I feel guilty, but I've done it.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't often eat the same two nights in a row. I tend to freeze leftovers either in single portions for lunches or as a whole other meal if it's something like a chilli or a stew. Left over veg is mostly turned into soups. I do also batch cook for the freezer as I think there is nothing nicer than being able to pull out a meal already done and just add sides to it.

    I have been known to cut up books for crafting purposes but they would always have been old books such as dictionaries which I got from charity shops.
    Would love to see your junk journal when you make it.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to do a lot of batch cooking for the freezer so the majority of meals are portion controlled with added veg and I don't usually have leftovers to worry about. Most of my meals from the freezer can be cooked from frozen so I don't have to be that organised about defrosting etc., although it's something I am organised about.

    As for the books question ... I struggle to cut up books for any craft project, even really old ones that are falling apart. However, in the past I have been gifted items made from old books and maps and I loved them .... I just can't make the jump to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1: Yes. If there's only scrapings left I take it as my next days lunch (with other bits and bobs I find in fridge). If there's lot of left, we'll eat it next evening or maybe in few days. Most food stays edible few days kept in fridge. Like this week: on sunday I made a big lasagna, on Monday it was our dinner again, and tuesday hb and two children ate it as late lunch, for dinner I made rice and salmon, some portion of that rice went to sushi (one son doesn't eat salmon). Yesterday I had some lasagna (and stewed red cabbage from saturday's meal) as my lunch. Kids ate last portions of lasagna as dinner (I ate salmon and hb ate leftover chicken we had on saturday!) and today I'm going to make more sushi, this time to feed all - I have salmon and rice leftover from tuesday, so all I have to do is cut more vegetables and maybe find some shrimps from the freezer. As my lunch I have a portion of that salmon, some rice, cooked carrots (I used them on sushi) and last of fried mushrooms from sunday... Hb doesn't eat anything more than two days a row, but all others do (me and kids).
    When I'm really busy, cooking enough for two days helps a lot!

    2. Can't cut books - even if it is horrible one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.