Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Sunday Adventures - Indiana Dunes National Park - A Day Out

Thanks for the well wishes on the migraine. Much better today. It's been a while since I've had one that bad. Even husband said the same. Back to normal today. 

It was another beautiful day here in Michigan today. I can't believe how warm it was! I actually opened a couple of windows today! I sat outside on the back porch after we got back from our Sunday Adventure. It was just too nice a day - and I know there will be so few on them from here until about May - so I took the time to just sit and enjoy!

We got up early this morning and decided to head out to Indiana Dunes National Park. We've never been there before. It's in another state but only about an hour and 15 mins drive from us. Believe me, in the US that isn't a far distance to travel! There is a charge to get in, but as husband is a Veteran, we discovered on our last visit to a National Park that he qualifies for a free pass! We stopped at Michigan City Lighthouse on our way. 

The park is huge - 15,000 acres - and has 15 miles of Lake Michigan Shoreline. There was absolutely no way that we could explore all the areas today. We stopped in at the Visitor's centre and talked to a lovely lady who shared lots of stories of the trails and a few maps as well. She was really very helpful. I did take some leaflets so that we could see which trails we'd like to walk another time. We walked one trail that was really nice and drove down a few other areas but it really was too big to just explore this time. 









These were at the visitor's centre. I actually forgot my phone and left it in the car for our walk! I did take photos with my camera that I will try to share another time. Here are some more phone photos from our visit. 








Not sure if you can read the above, maybe if you click on the photo, but it gives some information about the Great Lakes. 



The views were really spectacular. There was so much about today that made me smile, but one particular view just made me take a deep breath, look out, and appreciate all the beauty of nature. 

We stopped at a beach, walked through the woods and came out to almost a cliff top where the sands dropped down and the view on Lake Michigan was gorgeous. 

Day 296


5 comments:

  1. That looks like a beautiful place to explore. I bet it changes nicely with the seasons too so a place worth visiting more than once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really beautiful. We'll definitely be going back. There were so many trails to walk there.

      Delete
  2. So glad you are feeling better and you were able to not only enjoy a visit to the Indiana Dunes National Park, but, also sit outside in your own garden and enjoy the pleasant weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice. I know that we have to make the most of the weather while we still have it! I'm sure it will be back to being cold soon.

      Delete
  3. I always love seeing your pictures. That frog is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.