Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Garden Visitor




I was hurrying out of my back door this morning to take out a bag of rubbish when I spotted the deer in our garden. It caught the corner of my eye as the door slammed behind me. I thought the noise - and seeing me - would scare her off. It didn't. She sat there, watching me warily, as I quietly stepped back into the house. I even got my camera and caught a picture. I didn't want to disturb her so after I took my pictures I left her alone. I did catch sight of her a little later still sitting there eating grass. At some point she took off. Beautiful sight. Our garden is a little (!) wild back there but apparently she liked it!

I was cleaning out my cupboards this morning and sadly (hanging my head in shame) there was a lot out-of-date. Seriously out-of-date. Shame on me. I am going to do a LOT better. I am still getting used to downsizing the family. I tend to stock up for the winter as I don't go out a lot (it is too cold, too snowy and I just don't like it!) but apparently I overstocked. I am dreading hitting the freezer which is next on my list.

I was just listening to a radio programme about this and how much food we waste. I need some sort of organisation but I am not good at it. 

5 comments:

  1. We keep very little in our cupboard, that way we don't have out of date food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to buy less. I have started already. I am going to try to be more vigilant about knowing what is in the cupboard so I don't buy the same stuff. I have been cooking more from scratch and a lot of the things in the cupboard are cans of things to make sauces and dishes.

      Delete
  2. The worst cupboard in my house for out of date is my spice cupboard. I've started to buy the smaller containers of the less used spices in recipes. I still buy the large containers of my very regular usage spices. It's been hard for me to adjust to the downsizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually good on the spices! I use a lot of them as I have started cooking from scratch more and am lucky enough that there is a health food shop right by me that sells them in bulk. They are a fraction of the cost and you can take as much or as little as you want. The downsizing IS difficult to adjust to!

      Delete
  3. oops...I forgot to even mention your lovely garden visitor!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.