Pages

Monday, January 14, 2019

Monday Ramblings and Darning

It was really cold when I woke up this morning. It was -12C (10F) and when I did go out for my walk it was -7c (19F). I bundled up really warmly with long undies, hat, scarf and handwarmers tucked in my gloves. There weren't many people about - what a surprise!! I was quite disappointed in my walk. I saw lots of deer and got some photos for my black and white project but I couldn't walk all the way I wanted to as they were doing work on the trail. I think they are planning on expanding or something but there were so many industrial machines and they were pulling up places where the animals roam. I found it sad really. There was someone out (in a snow removal vehicle) clearing the path but it was making things worse, scraping of the layer of snow to reveal a sheet of ice below. At least with the snow on the path my boots had something to cling on to! I ended up walking alongside the cleared off path.

When I got home I was disappointed to see that my lovely thick socks had holes developing in the heels. I was thinking of darning (I'm not quite sure if that word is used in the states or what the equivalent is) them. I remember Mum would always be darning our socks. Nowadays it seems that we just go out and buy new ones. Does anyone do darning anymore? I love these socks and they were (although a present) quite expensive. It seems a shame not to darn them and continue to use. The same for one of the knit pairs of gloves I wear. This sounds strange, but I bit a hole in the top of one of the fingertips (it's a nervous habit to sort of chew on it).


As it's so cold today I put some chilli in the slow cooker. Son and husband will probably be quite cold when they get home from work. Son sometimes has to work outside. Middle son is coming up to visit too so there will be plenty for him to eat too. I'm working on my stitching while waiting for people to come home. The jobs I wanted done today are done. I'm starting on a list for tomorrow. There is ice/snow in the forecast and if the roads are slippery I shall be staying in tomorrow.


Photo from our cold but sunny walk yesterday!

13 comments:

  1. Not a sign of snow here yet.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had as much this year as we had last year. I was looking at photos from this time last year and the lake was covered in ice and snow piles!

      Delete
  2. We call it darning here too. I would darn them if you like them! My dad was a whiz at darning. He worked outside every day trimming trees for Wisconsin Public Service. He had many wool socks and "chopper liners" - choppers are heavy leather gloves - I don't know if everyone calls them that...but, we did. So, he was always darning something. I am also last of 6 and we had to make do and mend stuff. Good job doing all on your list - I did too...even things I wanted to...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum used to darn socks, gloves and the elbows of jumpers. You use to be able to buy packs of darning yarn in a rainbow of colours, thinner than ordinary yarn so as not to create lumps. It was worth it as most of our knits were hand knits so there was a lot of time invested in them.
    I know the theory, learnt in school, but I haven't darned anything for ages.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of lumps...something to consider!

      Delete
  4. Yes I do a little darning occasionally but only on our more expensive items. Thankfully there is no snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still do some draining mostly on the socks I knit for my husband , after all that work it seems wastfull to just throw them away , I even have a wooden mushroom to make it easier .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'll have to look up the wooden mushroom! It does seem wasteful to throw things away - especially those socks of mine. I really love them and they are so thick and warm in winter!

      Delete
  6. I have done darning in the past but currently have nothing that is a suitable candidate for my skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have darned a few garments, but not socks. Then, again, my socks are rather inexpensive ones. Stay well wrapped up and warm in that cold Michigan weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless! I'm already looking forward to Spring

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.