Pages

Friday, August 7, 2020

Decluttering Encouragement please - books

Ack so I got started. I've cleared out two boxes of books which I feel is really good, but there are so many everywhere - yikes. I was working on a particularly tall bookcase, cleared out a whole box (probably 12 x 12 x 12) full of books but the bookcase still looks the same!!! It's still full. It looks as though I haven't got rid of any books. Obviously that means some more need to go. Sigh. I really want to move onto some more that I know I can get rid of. It just seems so overwhelming!!! I know I just have to keep going because any progress is some progress and closer to the home I want.


This is the bookshelf after. I don't have a picture of before. Sigh. This is just one bookcase. It just seems overwhelming.

What tips do you have when you're feeling discouraged? How do you decide what to get rid of?

Thanks for the input.

8 comments:

  1. When I feel overwhelmed with a project, like garden clean up after the winter, I just take one small section at a time and do that to how I want it and feel happy, then onto the next area and so on. Eventually it all gets done. But I understand the overwhelmed feeling. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that's how I'm going to take it. I'm not going to be too hard on myself especially when I see the amount going out!

      Delete
  2. First of all, well done on what you were able to declutter, so far. Two boxes of books decluttered is great!

    If you still want to declutter more, however, are there any books you know you want to declutter? Even if they are located in another bookcase or somewhere else in the house, maybe declutter those first? That will boost your sense of accomplishment and might open up some space on those book shelves for some of the books from the tall bookcase.

    It's hard to decide what to keep and what to declutter, isn't it? Maybe identify the books you really want to keep (can't live without) and go through the rest and pull out every 10th book? And keep doing that until you are left with the number of books you feel comfortable having?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what I'm going to do. I went through 2 books cases and pulled the ones I knew I immediately felt okay about getting rid of. I sorted through some more in another place, kept a bunch but am now having second thoughts and have decided to get rid of them. It did help that I put 3 lots of 10 books up on Ebay and they all sold - so that's 30 gone lol.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I set a goal I know I can meet, like decluttering 10 books a day for a week. Ten books isn't too intimidating. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness what a lot of books you have!
    There's only one way to eat an elephant - a bite at a time! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Thanks! I do have a lot of books - too many if there is such a thing!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.