Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2020

Wednesday - hot hot

Groan. I know there are hotter places, but I have had enough of the heat. I can't wait for it to cool down a little. It was really difficult to sleep last night as it didn't get below 75f/24c.

Going for a walk this morning I was just so sticky! I did go though. Something...a little unsettling happened. Not bad. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. Anyway, here goes. I'm a member of a couple of women only photography groups and once in a while there is a post about how some male photographers can be quite dismissive as though you don't know a thing. Mind you, some of the women in the group are professionals with magazine credits, shows and such. I've never encountered it before. There are even a couple of really nice guys who have pointed me in the right direction for birds and such. Not today.

I met up with my walking friend J. J and I met at our usual spot and there was a younger guy there taking photos. We just said hi and went on our way. Later when we were done walking we were sitting on a bench chatting and he came past to go to his car. We started talking to him having a nice conversation about birds and photography (J isn't a photographer, but a birdwatcher). The younger guy has his camera with him and I've got mine (incidentally we had the same lens). This other guy comes up and stands there and then proceeds to jump in and start talking to the guy about photography, his camera, what photos he's taken and such. It's really to the point where it seems he is deliberately ignoring me, so much so that J says quietly to me 'That's really rude. How come he's not asking you any of those things?'

When we get up to leave the guy then does ask me what camera I have. I tell him. He says 'oh that's okay'. I replied 'I like it', left it at that and walked off.  I felt like telling him that the lady I learned from tells us it's not always the equipment but how you use it. Ha ha. I should have. Sigh. BTW not that I feel the need to justify my camera to anyone but it is a newer full frame model.  J actually apologised to me (like it's her fault!) and says I'm sorry that happened. I shrugged it off but I'm left feeling a little off.

Still, I cannot dictate others reaction to me so I shall channel my inner Elsa and let it go.

On the sorting things note - another box of books has left the house as have several crafty magazines! One good thing that has come from sorting all those magazines is that I have found some wonderful 'free' gifts that came with some of the Papercrafting magazines including a lovely kit that I have (partially) used along with some other bits I had to create a couple of cards. One is for my Aunt in Australia. Usually Mum and Aunt write a lot but neither is getting out a lot so I said I'd make a card for Aunt and sign it from me and Mum with a little note. The other is for Mum's birthday.



7 comments:

  1. It does seem rather rude of that other man, but, I think you handled it very well.

    Well done on getting another box of books and magazines out! Are you starting to see even a little difference?

    Those two cards are absolutely gorgeous! I like both, but, especially the "garden in a box" one!

    I hope it gets a bit cooler for you, soon. But, I reserve the right to tease you when you say you are too cold in the winter! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum reminds me I'll be complaining of the cold soon lol.

      I do see a difference. It does seem overwhelming still, but I feel as though I am making some progress and that's all I can keep doing.

      Delete
  2. I've had that sort of thing happen to me before courtesy of a "photography expert"! It's frustrating and embarrassing to be on the receiving end of that sort of behaviour but it's usually done by the type of person who only looks to other men for answers and opinion. I think you handled it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little unsettling. I'm so happy to say that it's the first time it has happened. All the encounters I've had so far have been very friendly.

      Delete
  3. Boys and their toys, eh? Well done for handling it calmly and smoothly - bad behaviour of others is not your responsibility but how irritating!

    It's chilly and damp here and I turned the heating up yesterday evening - in August!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I still have the air on. It's so hot it's been quite unbearable sleeping.

      Delete
  4. You did a good job "rising above" the situation and rude man. You're totally right, it's not the equipment, but what you do with it. You're photos are amazing! I've witnessed how they keep getting better and better. Whatever tips and tricks you are learning from your groups shows. Yes, let it go and don't think about that dummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.