Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Another Day...

Got up and went for a walk. It was a lovely day. Fairly warm this morning. Lovely and sunny. Looks like Spring might (fingers crossed) be finally upon us. Things are certainly starting to look a lot greener and brighter. 

After my walk I got all my errands done and came home to sit in the garden for a little while before husband came home. I've been watching this Groundhog at the bottom of the garden.  It comes into our garden to eat. I have persuaded husband not to mow a small portion of the garden for No Mow May. I'm not sure entirely what that is, but my understanding that is a way to try to get people to think about how they share their garden with animals and birds. Our garden is quite long and there is (admittedly) a wild bit at the back. Husband is just expanding that for a while. Because of the way our house and gardens are set up with our neighbours it isn't an eyesore for them. Most of the end of their gardens butt up with ours. 

I think (from what I've been told) that Groundhogs can be a bit of a nuisance. We're keeping an eye on it in case it thinks of undermining any structure near us!



Really likes all the grass. 

Another visitor we had this week was an Opossum



Not the prettiest looking thing (though those ears do remind me of Mickey Mouse!). They are good for the garden. They eat pests and are good for getting rid of ticks (ick, ick). It was out early Sunday morning though I've seen it several times at night. 

I'm off to bed. Think I've rambled enough lol. Hopefully back tomorrow. 

7 comments:

  1. Very cute, both of them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your possum looks a lot better than the one that visits me! The ground hog looks cute! Does he predict when spring will come? Maybe you have Michigan's version of Punxsutawney Phil? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, don't think so. This is the first I've seen of it. We did see one last Autumn but I'm not sure if this is the same one!

      Delete
  3. I have had a resident groundhog at the back of my property for years. He doesn't seem to bother any of my plants as there is a buffer zone of trees and shrubs between my land and the industrial park behind me. He has visited my patio at one time out of curiosity (really had my indoor cats in a state of anxiety as they watched through the door wall) but other than that, completely harmless. I can say the same for the wild turkeys (two hens and one male) and a couple of deer a few years ago. I live within the city limits of Brighton, but the industrial park behind me serves as avenue for all the wildlife. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to see wildlife in the garden. At least I think so! So far the groundhog has just come into the garden to eat some of the wild grass/weed bit we kept near the back. We live in a city, but there is some wild areas near by so I think we see some of the wildlife from there.

      Delete
  4. No mow May is for the honey bees as there isn't anything for them to eat except the dandelions. Yes, even they are cute....ahahha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.