Pages

Friday, July 14, 2023

The Week - ugh

It's been a bit of a week. Daughter rang on Monday and said that they had been told to go up to the hospital for son-in-law's dad. He wasn't doing well, and they were calling people to the hospital. He's only fifty-five but has been having issues for about nine months now. He's been in and out of the hospital with infections and fluid on his lungs and such. Son-in-law (S for ease) had gone up to the hospital on Sunday. It's about two and a half hours drive from any family member (the only hospital that could take him!) so visits aren't as often as they would be if it was local. S said that his dad was actually awake and alert and joking. Monday, not so good. 

Sadly, on Tuesday morning he passed away. He was a nice man. We'd met a few times, mainly at Christmas get-togethers and a couple of meals we went out for with them. 

The funeral will be next Wednesday. Not sure if we will be going or not. We'd like to support S but it's such a long way for us. We also have a mini-camping trip planned for next weekend (Thursday night through Sunday) as it will be husband's 60th on Friday and the anniversary of Mum's passing on Saturday. I just didn't want to be home. I'd rather be on the beach, thinking of her and some of the holidays we shared. I can't be there in England this year at this time. Sister will be going to Mum's bench and taking some flowers for me. I'm travelling over there next month and will be there for what would have been Mum's birthday. 

So, as for the funeral. Not sure. It's a ten-hour drive. We would have to go Tuesday, drive back Thursday and then go straight to campground. Not sure if husband would be able to get time off work. Poor S doesn't get any bereavement leave. He was actually off this week on holiday as daughter and he were supposed to go away. He will have to take a holiday day on his dad's funeral and then present his work with an order of service from the funeral home to prove that's where he was!

Feeling a bit down with the 'anniversary' coming up. Can't believe it's been almost two years. 

I've been getting through the days, but not getting as much done as I have wanted to. I did at least reach my book decluttering goal the other day. I wanted to sort ten books, I managed thirteen. Not a whole lot, but better than none!

Photo for today - Clouds. Just because. It's a phone photo. I really think I need to do Phone Photos Things That Make Me Smile again next year. I'm missing it. It's always good, even on bad days, to look for something that makes you smile. 



Hopefully tomorrow I'll post a photo of the books leaving the house. I forgot to take a photo and it's too dark while I'm writing this!


3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your son-in-law's father passing away. He was so young, too. My father's age when he passed away.
    Can you fly out instead of driving? Would that work out better?
    Hard to believe it's coming up on the 2nd anniversary of your mother's death! Time sure flies, doesn't it?
    Well done on getting the books decluttered. I need to get going with my own decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's very young. Only a couple of years older than I am.

      I checked the flight prices. They are a little expensive for such a short trip. I talked to daughter and son-in-law and they said they understand us not coming. I shall send cards and flowers and we helped a little with the food for after the funeral.

      Delete
  2. I'm very sorry to read about your daughter and son in law's sadness. That's no age at all, is it? xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.