Pages

Friday, October 27, 2023

Decluttering - How do you decide what to get rid of?

I've been thinking about this for a few days. I know that I need to get back on the delcuttering wagon. I feel as though I need a bit more space around me. I haven't been creative up in my craft room for a while as it is just too messy, and it doesn't make me feel at all creative. But how do I choose what to get rid of? 

In my craft room there are lots of things that I like and think I would use. Do I want to give them up? Honestly? If my house was bigger and I had more room I'd probably hold onto more stuff. But do I really need it? Am I really going to use it? I have so many projects that, even if I lived another 50 years, I wouldn't get them all done. I do know that, after going through Mum's things and Jane's things, I really don't want to leave all this for my children to deal with. The things certainly wouldn't have the same meaning to them as they do for me. 

So, back to the title - how do you decide what to get rid of? Do you miss the stuff when it's gone? Is there something you've given up that you regret? Do you feel guilty about letting it go especially if it was something given to you with love? How do you decide what to keep? 

I have been decluttering some magazines. You would think they would be easy to let go of, but I'm not finding it all that easy. I do like the space created by letting some go so I am going to keep plodding along. 

If you have any decluttering tips, or things that work for you, I'd love to hear them! I do appreciate the input and comments. 

Today's photo - The Stream




12 comments:

  1. Decluttering is something that I, too, struggle with! I have a very hard time letting go of certain things and that includes magazines, too! And don't ever look on Pinterest when you are decluttering because there are so many wonderful ways people have recycled and upcycled things that I'm thinking of getting rid of and I start thinking, "Oh, maybe I could do that, instead of decluttering that item!" Some people say, pick the storage spot and keep only what will fit comfortably in that spot. Others say, choose a number of items and get rid of any above that number. I take a long time to decide what to get rid of, but, once I do declutter it, I generally don't regret doing so. I need to properly bid farewell to that item before I let it go, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles with it. Like you, I rarely regret letting go but it's still so hard!

      Delete
  2. I think my answer is 'with difficulty'. I also think I have done most of the easy stuff and may have some hard decisions to make in the future because, like you, I don't want to inflict my clutter on my offspring. There will be some stuff that matters to me but not to them but there's a lot of other stuff I am dithering over and just leaving.

    I think having regular, sort of scheduled sort outs helps as each time a few more things don't survive.
    Sorry - can't be more help. I'm sure lots of others are in the same boat too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a bit a while ago and, like you, let go of some of the easier things. I need to be a bit tougher with myself I think!

      Delete
  3. I'm right there with you on the craft stash decluttering. It's so hard knowing what to hang on to and what to keep. I'm doing exactly the same thing right now with some success. I have been passing some on to a lady for her grandchildren. She's going to pass some on to her friends too. I'm happy to think it's going to be used and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's helpful if you know it's going to someone who can use it. I suppose I should just try to keep that in mind! Glad you're having some success!

      Delete
  4. I've been decluttering for years( 15) and am at a place where most things I have are just what I need or use. It's hard to start,really, and I'd ask yourself first, what do you want? more space, less stuff piled around?? That helped me to decide. I have a very small house and when we first moved here and in the years when my children were young it was crammed to the the gills. I've done most all the decluttering systems from kon Mari to the Minimalist game but the one system that I like the best is the container idea. It's that you can only keep what will fit for instance on a shelf, or a in a drawer. It has been very helpful. The book Decluttering at the Speed of Life is a good one and she came up with this idea. Good luck and just keep at it , it does get easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that book out! I like the idea of space and everything having it's place. Things are so chaotic that it's difficult to find things especially in my craft room!

      Delete
  5. Like everyone else I have been on the decluttering road. When I started a friend told me to think what would you save in a fire?then if you had a few more minutes to save something? Then a few more minutes. It's like working backwards. It does make you concentrate on what is important to you. After I sorted out the really precious things the rest didn't really seem important so it was easier to get rid of Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is certainly something to think about. Sadly I think a lot of those important things, things I'd like to display get lost in all the other stuff. I have some tough decisions to make, but I'm determined to work on it!

      Delete
  6. I have been helping my sister, we started in one corner, looked at her dumped stuff, why was it there and then popped it into boxes, maybe and going, which helped with the declutter, as we was not making big decisions all the time. Maybe a bit slower because you look at things twice, it helped her to clear space to tidy around her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice that you are helping your sister do that. That's a good idea. I really need to buckle down and do it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.