Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2024

Some Random Bits, Plans and Pictures

I'm gradually getting back into the groove of things, but I still feel a little bit of post-holiday blues. It always seems worse when coming back from a visit to family knowing it will be a while before I see them again. There were lots of good times had though and that's what I'll try to look back upon. I allowed myself last week to be a little blah about everything, but now it's time to get back into the groove of things. 

I have been writing myself a little list each day and it does seem to help things plodding along. I need to get back on the decluttering wagon. It just seems a little overwhelming and I need to pick a place to start. Even over these last few days I've been picking up some magazines to sort through. They are one of the things on my list to read and let go of, an easy thing to do you would think. There are a few that I will pass on to someone else and others I've ripped a page or two out of and the rest will be going into the recycle pile. I shall continue with that again this week. There's a pile by my chair that I am going to get through this week. 

Another thing I need to get a handle on is the food shopping. I know that prices have gone up in England, but I was surprised at how much cheaper food was there than here in the US. It makes me cringe when I see some of the prices I'm paying for basic items. So, the plan going forward is to make sure I shop around for prices. I used to do it a lot when we were on a tighter budget, but I sort of got out of the habit. There is a new Aldi's opening up nearer us and I shall make sure to check out their vegetable prices. I am going to look for some new recipes so that I can combine sales with some new menu choices. I want to make sure I use up all of the ingredients in the fridge, perhaps having a clear-up day at the end of the week when it's a hodge-podge of items. 

Any tips for cutting down the budget? I meal plan each week which does cut down on impromptu visits to the shops and unnecessary buys. Any recipe sites you really like? I'm also looking for some lovely British recipes - tried and tested hopefully!

Think that's enough for today. I'm going to think on the decluttering and where to start. 

Leaving this with a few pics from the visit. I took a lot of them!

My sister and I visited The Castle on the Hill - Framlingham Castle. I've been there a few times, but for my sister it was her first visit. We had a fun time!















4 comments:

  1. There's always a bit of a down feeling after returning from a holiday or after a visit with family, isn't there?
    I'm doing a decluttering challenge (just myself and whoever wants to declutter along with me), and I have just started on my collection of magazines and I agree with you - it is NOT easy to go through them and dispose of them! Maybe you can start decluttering on a very small scale - 1 to 5 items a day for the remaining days of September?
    As for grocery spending and keeping to the budget, I generally shop the sale items and then, meal plan based on what I bought. But, there's only me, myself, and I to please, so, it's easier, I think, than when preparing meals for a family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing your decluttering. You are doing so well! Your posts certainly have been getting me in the mood to do more. I need to do better about shopping the sales. I always used to and seem to have stopped. I don't like that now our local shops have been having the sales on for two weeks and by the second week most of the sale items are gone!

      Delete
  2. It's hard to get back into the routine after time away, but you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the lists are helping as at least I'm getting something done!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.