Pages

Monday, June 17, 2019

Lovely Book

This is one I'm definitely not getting rid of! I really like this book.


It goes day-by-day through different seasonal plants and animals. I've learned quite a bit about the animals I see on my walks. I'm scheduling this post for the 17th so I thought I'd share a little from that day.

June 17th

Mallard Eggs Hatching

When Mallard ducklings hatch they are fully covered with down that dries in about twelve hours. At this point, they begin moving around in the nest and may even wander a few feet away, but for the most part their mother broods them until the family leaves the nest for the water. This departure usually takes place on the morning after they hatch. The mother leads them to water as she vocalises up to two hundred times a minute. 

I don't have any duckling photos to share, but the Starling babies in the garden are finally learning to feed on their own. 



5 comments:

  1. That is, indeed, a lovely book! I wouldn't want to part with it, either! Great photo of the baby birds, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book. I love the photo you captured of those baby starlings, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely book! I'd want to keep it too. I love your photos - so sweet.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book looks like one I would like too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.