Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2020

March 1st

Wow - it's March! Spring is slowly getting closer.

Mum always says 'in like a lion and out like a lamb' for March. It was however a really beautiful day. The sun was shining and the temperatures were above freezing. On Sundays we generally go out so we thought we'd head towards the lakeshore as this week temperatures are supposed to be getting warmer and any ice that is there now will probably be melting. It was well worth the trip. The sun was beautiful! So was the ice!

I took this photo with my phone, but you can see the ice. There were loads of ice balls in all difference sizes along the shore.


We didn't go too far out on the ice as it didn't look very stable. You can see the beach so I was standing where water normally is. There was ice a lot further out but with the temperatures being above freezing you have to be very careful about going on the ice as it can be deceiving. Better safe than sorry!

We were actually talking to a man on our first stop (at the lighthouse) and he told us that there had been another possible drowning nearby last week. Apparently a man walked out onto the ice at the beach and wasn't seen again. The person he was with (who had stayed on the shore) ended up calling for help but he wasn't found. I know that at the lighthouse near us there was no ice on Wednesday and now there is quite a bit - because it's formed so quickly it isn't stable or very thick!

Bless - I meant to reply to your comment about photos the other day and completely forgot! You mentioned about getting photos from your phone printed. I'm not sure what kind of phone you've got but if you download the Shutterfly app you can get free prints - you do have to pay shipping. Or you can get a free photo book each month (you pay shipping for this too). I've been thinking about doing it so will let you know if I do!




6 comments:

  1. That's an incredible sight. I've never seen ice balls like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really amazing! I've seen them once or twice but there were so many here! I think everything was undisturbed as they usually close the road leading down to this beach in bad weather and has only just opened as there was no snow on the road.

      Delete
  2. Up here in southern Manitoba, the river froze too fast so it is covered in thick chunks of ice all melded together. They thought when the river dropped the ice would settle down. Will have to make a trip up to Gimli to see the sites on Lake Manitoba. I like the look of yours, it is very pretty. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice on the lakes is the one thing I like about winter. It's really amazing to see!

      Delete
  3. That photo of the ice on the lake is awesome! I'm glad you had such a lovely, sunny day. Thank you for the photo printing info. I have a very basic go phone (I thought it was a tracfone, but, daughter says it's a go phone).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to have a TracFone way way back but had problems with it updating.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.