Pages

Friday, September 13, 2019

A Long Way from Norfolk

Regarding the last post - I think they are really cute. We've just given up on them coming into the garden. One today was there at after twelve in the day, munching away on the birdseed while looking at me.

Bless: there are (of course) a stack of books by my chair, some knitting (not that it's been picked up in a while), some magazines and my diary/notebook. The pile is a little tidier than it had been but not by a lot!

I did go to the library the other day to pick up the books I had ordered during my non-shopping spree. I also managed to drop off two bags filled with books for donation to the library bookshop. I also had a look around while I was there (how could I not?) and found this book staring at me from the shelf.


How could I not pick it up? I thought at first it meant Norfolk in Virginia but when I picked it up and began to look at it I found it was a bird diary of a man who lived in Norfolk England in the beginning of the 1900s. What a great find! For those of you who aren't from England, Norfolk is the next county over from Suffolk - where I'm originally from. I couldn't believe it! How strange that a book such as that would end up in our library bookshop here in Kalamazoo, Michigan - a very long way from England. I couldn't just leave it there. I really find books like this interesting. It is in diary form and tells of the birds this man saw on his walks. There are some wonderful illustrations including along with the sightings.



On another note I finished one of the books I borrowed from the library.


I really enjoyed this book! It made me laugh and cry. This is the blurb to go along with the book.

Margaret Jacobsen is just about to step into the bright future she’s worked for so hard and so long: a new dream job, a fiancĂ© she adores, and the promise of a picture-perfect life just around the corner. Then, suddenly, on what should have been one of the happiest days of her life, everything she worked for is taken away in a brief, tumultuous moment.
In the hospital and forced to face the possibility that nothing will ever be the same again, Maggie must confront the unthinkable. First there is her fiancĂ©, Chip, who wallows in self-pity while simultaneously expecting to be forgiven. Then, there's her sister Kit, who shows up after pulling a three-year vanishing act. Finally, there's Ian, her physical therapist, the one the nurses said was too tough for her. Ian, who won't let her give in to her pity, and who sees her like no one has seen her before. Sometimes the last thing you want is the one thing you need. Sometimes we all need someone to catch us when we fall. And sometimes love can find us in the least likely place we would ever expect. 
It was a really good read. I am definitely going to look for more of books from this author. This might even be one I'll order for Mum for Christmas. 
I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend. I'm not sure what we're going to be up to - it depends a little on the weather!

4 comments:

  1. That is a lovely find, Sharon! One never knows what one might find at library book sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely Bird book and so far from it's home, will you keep it or bring it back to the UK to repatriate it? :-)
    Have a good weekend. it's going to be warm here and I shall be in Ipswich for the heritage open day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic book. You couldn't possibly have left it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great find I do wonder how it came about been so far away from home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.