Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2020

April...

I usually like April. It is when we start to notice a real change here in Michigan. We had quite a few trips planned for April but now they look like they won't happen. The most disappointing of which is our end-of-the-month visit with daughter. I know all the reasons why it probably won't happen and I understand them and I know that (maybe sometime - virus permitting, work permitting, obligations permitting) we will be able to see her and visit her again BUT that doesn't make it any less disappointing or make me feel any less sad. 

I am trying not to dwell on the disappointments so...

On the plus side it was a beautiful day here today. The last few days have been cold, drizzly and gloomy so it was a lovely change to wake up and see a sunrise and beautiful sunshine! The birds were out singing, flying about and mating. While I was on my walk today I stood and watched a goose pad out her nest. Her mate had swam off somewhere and when some other geese came near she got really upset and frustrated. Her mate finally showed up - a little late I might add - and chased off the newcomers. Canadian Geese aren't my favourite birds, but they are quite interesting to watch. The other day I watched when this same goose 'yelled' at a muskrat who had come a little too close to the nest. Apparently muskrats like goose eggs. 


In between getting my usual housework done today I sat out in the garden and enjoyed watching the birds. I have a book I've been reading on and off too. I really like it but it's one of those I don't know whether I want to savour and enjoy or rush through and get to the end of! 

I did start on a cross stitch too. It was a kit I had bought from a charity shop when I visited mum. I didn't realise until I opened it that someone had already started a part of it. It wasn't very well done, some of the threads were pulled over two stitches. I had to pull them all out. Quite frustrating as I'm not sure how they cross stitched it. It took a long time! Hopefully I'll be able to show some progress soon.

Hope everyone is keeping well - both physically and mentally. 


6 comments:

  1. I understand your disappointment in not seeing your daughter. Several people I know have had their travel plans put on hold or cancelled altogether. I am so thankful for technology for helping me stay in touch with my own family. Keep smiling :) Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so disappointing for you to have to cancel the trip to see your daughter. But, just think how much sweeter it will be when you do finally see her, whenever that happens. Great picture of the goose being all protective of its nest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel I haven't seen my family for quite a while. Thank goodness for technology enabling us to keep in touch. Stay strong in these very strange times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The disappointments really do need some mental work so that they don't dominate, don't they? I'm in the same boat and have to tell myself how lucky I am that I CAN plan all these things, even if they are not happening for the next few months. Just call me Pollyanna! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have every right to feel disappointed about not being able to see your daughter! I watched Canadian Geese yesterday to the exact same thing...oh, boy were they honking and fighting over the nesting spots. I also am reading a book like that...it's one that is a health self tip kind - Ughhh...I started it for the tips, now I just want to cross it off my list...the other book I'm reading is for pleasure and that one I enjoy. Have a great weekend. I took out some pumpkin from my freezer...now what do I make?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been difficult to stay cheerful while cancelling all my plans. It must be even harder that you are missing a trip to see your daughter. The only plus is that we can still 'see' each other with all the wonders of technology.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.