Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Plodding on into Another Week

Sunday was absolutely gorgeous. Spring was definitely in the air and then I'm not sure what quite happened. Today we've had everything - sun, cloudy, wind, rain and snow. Brrr… My heating is on full force again today whereas on Sunday I had the windows open. I suppose it's a sign of spring. I did go for a walk today. It's the one little bit of my day where I do go outside so I'm making the most of it. 

I really need to start making lists. I have big plans for the day and before I realise it the day is over and I haven't done a lot of anything! There are projects sitting waiting to be done and I just can't seem to get up the energy. I think if I just write a few things down it will be easier to get them done.  I did go to the shops today. I'm not sure what is up with the margarine. There was absolutely no spreadable butter/margarine available at all. It must be the latest 'thing' to buy. There was some toilet paper. I left it alone as we have enough on hand. I had a bit of a laugh as there was one small section taped off in the shop - the gardening area. Apparently this is considered non-essential so cannot be sold. I'm not sure why this area was 'picked' on as everything else - clothes, toys, books, crafts, you name it - was for sale.  I had to snap a photo of the sign - just because. 




I had gone over there for some bird suet - which I was able to buy lol. Those poor birds have to be fed! I had ordered our bigger packs of bird food where I usually go to get them - as it is open - but instead of going inside I had hubby pick it up at their drive thru (they have one usually but this is the first time we've tried it). He said there were lots of people in the queue buying - yes - you've guessed it gardening items that they had ordered for pick up.

I have finished another book - there is quite a pile to be donated when this is all over and the library bookshop is open again. I have bought a couple of new ones, but I do miss the bookshop - both the one in town and the library book shop. I miss just looking around browsing at the covers and reading the backs. 


This is the second book I've read by this author (I think the other one is listed in my this-month's books I've read). I haven't read any by her before but I think she's written quite a few. They are set in southern USA and I think they are what is called southern women's fiction.  Mum would call them family stories. I really enjoyed this one. I found the story and the characters interesting. I shall be adding her to my look-for books. 

This is the description

Superheroes have always been Leia Birch Briggs’ weakness. One tequila-soaked night at a comics convention, the usually level-headed graphic novelist is swept off her barstool by a handsome and anonymous Batman.
It turns out the caped crusader has left her with more than just a nice, fuzzy memory. She’s having a baby boy—an unexpected but not unhappy development in the thirty-eight year-old’s life. But before Leia can break the news of her impending single-motherhood (including the fact that her baby is biracial) to her conventional, Southern family, her step-sister Rachel’s marriage implodes. Worse, she learns her beloved ninety-year-old grandmother, Birchie, is losing her mind, and she’s been hiding her dementia with the help of Wattie, her best friend since girlhood.
Leia returns to Alabama to put her grandmother’s affairs in order, clean out the big Victorian that has been in the Birch family for generations, and tell her family that she’s pregnant. Yet just when Leia thinks she’s got it all under control, she learns that illness is not the only thing Birchie’s been hiding. Tucked in the attic is a dangerous secret with roots that reach all the way back to the Civil War. Its exposure threatens the family’s freedom and future, and it will change everything about how Leia sees herself and her sister, her son and his missing father, and the world she thinks she knows.
I hope everyone is having a good week! Have you been reading more? What  have you been reading? 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting story-line in that book. Regarding the garden supplies - sometimes one wonders who makes up these rules as they can seem so illogical. But I am glad you managed to get your birds their food. Stay safe, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had grey, drizzly days, recently, but, today was sunny and warm. I'm glad you were able to go on your walk, today. Plus you went shopping and you finished reading another book. However, if you want to get housework done, then, lists do help. :) Take care of yourself and do what you can. I think we are all trying to adjust to this new normal and we are all a bit unsettled, still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have thought the gardening stuff was essential - it's food production and coming into the growing season plus working in the garden is great for mental health.
    I wonder who was responsible for that decision.

    I'm well into the second book in the Mary Steward 'Merlin' books and enjoying every word. I think The Hollow Hills is my favourite out of them all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The storyline interests me. I'm adding it to my list and will borrow it from the library once it reopens. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm losing any momentum I had...with piles of open tubs, towers of tubs to go to our daughter's house, craft supplies out not one UFO complete....I feel EXACTLY like you! I think people are going to be garden crazy this year. Good thing I have a ton of seeds here. I think the snow storm Sunday into Monday blustery cold into Tuesday....helped to crush my momentum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.