Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2020

A Week of Things That Make Me Happy

I've decided to take a week to look for/share things that make me happy. I'm trying to look on the bright side and cheer myself up a little. I'll try to share each day but we know how good I am at that lol.

I've done a couple things that I've been meaning to do. I ordered Magnesium and will start taking tomorrow to see if it helps with the leg cramps. Getting good sleep certainly would help my mood a bit I think. I have also ordered some dress tape - you know, the stuff that holds down fabric so you don't flash anything. No. I've not ordered a fancy dress to go somewhere lovely. I read on one of my photography groups that one of the ladies uses this tape to tape down her mask to her nose so that her glasses don't fog up when she's taking photos. I'm hoping this will help with the panicking of wearing the mask which leads to fogged up glasses, which then starts this whole heavy breathing and panicking thing.

The first thing on my list and was really easy to choose is books. They make me happy. I love to read. I always have. I can't remember a time when I didn't love to read. Books have been my companions through tough times, happy times and sad times. Reading a book takes you to places and times that you can only dream of.  A good story can make you happy, sad, can make you laugh and cry. I've been reading a lot recently. I'm certainly making a dent in the numerous books I have in the house.

I don't like shopping much but give me a good bookshop and I can spend ages in there. There used to be a lovely used bookshop in town. It wasn't very big but you could get lost in the bookshelves and all the books piled from ceiling to floor (and on the floor!). I was quite sad when it closed down. I remember the one in Ipswich when I was growing up. It was a shop that sold new books but there was so many. It was housed in a place called The Ancient House which, as it sounds is a very old building (laughs). It was built in the 15th century. When I was a child it was a bookshop with lots of little rooms with glorious windows and beamed ceilings and doorways. I found a photo (not mine) and have posted below.


Sadly it's no longer a bookshop but is a Lakeland shop that sells (apparently) kitchenware. I can't bring myself to go inside though I probably should on one visit.

Anyway, you can see why it would be a lovely place to spend a bit of time with a book. I remember sitting on the floor in the small room that housed the young adult fiction. It wasn't a very big room as I think it was still a new genre.

So books - yes, they make me happy. Even writing this brings a smile to my face. What makes you happy? I know we can all use a reminder of looking for good things even when we're feeling down.



6 comments:

  1. Tony and I love books and find it very hard to part with them. Have you read 'The Bee Keeper Of Allepo' It's heart breaking but so thought provoking. Well worth reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the dress tape helps with the masks fogging up the glasses.

    Books make me happy, too. I enjoyed reading about the book store from your childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the old book shop sounds amazing. Any building that old would be a thrill to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lakeland haven't been allowed to change The Ancient House much so it still has the rooms all on different levels and a little twisty stairs at the back (as well as the main stairs).
    I always end up asking where something is as you can wander up down round and round searching for ages!
    They did have a room with all the history and artifacts that had been found in the house displayed in glass cases - but I'm not sure if thats still there

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress tape idea sounds like it's worth a try. As a glasses wearer I need a practical solution to the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great shop. Great tip about the tape I too have ordered some in an attempt to stop the fogging. I am told washing your glasses in soap also helps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.