Pages

Monday, October 26, 2020

Cookbook - Going Down Memory Lane

I try to stay off Facebook. I check in with my photography groups and a couple of others. One of those is an Expat cooking group. It's always fun to talk about British food and goodies (chocolate yum) and where to find some of those. When I opened my Facebook this morning there was a post on there about an old-ish cookbook. I thought 'Ah I have one of those! Mum let me bring it to America with me'. I couldn't resist digging it out and taking a look through it. I learned to make flaky and rough puff pastry through this book. It also had a recipe for cream horns in it. When I was in Home Economics in secondary school these were my 'signature' dish. I used to make mine look like Dougal from The Magic Roundabout. The teacher always used to get a chuckle out of it. I haven't made them for so long but they were soooo tasty!





Over the years this book has been used so much that it is falling apart. This copy looks like it was published in 1971 - it's only a year younger than I am. I can't bring myself to get rid of it though! I like looking through and seeing what we used to cook and what was considered 'good' meals. 

Do you remember this cookbook? Do you have a favourite that brings back great memories? 

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I remember that cookbook. We used to have a copy at home and I think it went to my sister when she got married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had loads of them over the years. In fact I think I had this very one. We got married in 1970 and I'm fairly sure MIL bought me this one. Some I bought for myself and others were gifts from my mum and sisters. I loved them but couldn't keep them especially since I downsized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old cookbooks are wonderful to read through, aren't they? I think you should definitely keep this one, even if it is falling apart! Maybe time to make some cream horns for the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never saw that one, but I do have some favorite old ones too. I can't part with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember it was quite exciting when the milkman started having cookery books and diaries for sale! I'm sure my Mum had that one and I used to get the Dairy diary after I married in 1975

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.