Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Quiet Thursday

 It was a really quiet day here. I stayed in the whole day. I watched some photography webinars from a group I'm in on Facebook. It's called Sheclicks and is a group for female photographers. There are some really interesting women who have come to speak, and the talks are recorded. I have watched a couple as they go live, but I have missed a lot due to the time difference. 

I got my housework done and did some more photos. I got sidetracked with another book. The only time I went outside there was a Cooper's Hawk in one of the trees in my garden. I took a couple of photos of it. His presence was probably why there weren't many birds around! 

The beginning of the day was quite warm (well, it was warm for Michigan lol) and a lot of the snow melted. Then the temperature dropped, and it started snowing again! So, for all of a few hours I could see some yucky brown/greenish grass but now it's all covered up again lol. We are sliding into the end of February though and that means there will be fewer snow days and it will be the icky time of year again when everything is dull and grey until spring starts. 

For some photos today I thought I'd share some pictures I took of the Ice Bridge between St. Ignace and Mackinac Island. 

Mackinac Island is a small island about 6 miles from the mainland of Michigan (St. Ignace way). In the summertime travel between the island and mainland is done by regular running ferries. It is the way people and supplies are taken to the island. The island is a main tourist attraction during the summer. There are only about 500-600 people who live on the island year-round. There are no cars on the island. When winter comes and the lake starts to freeze the island is cut off from the mainland. There is a small plane that brings in supplies. 

If the lake freezes over locals take their old Christmas trees and line a safe path, an Ice Bridge, that people can take snow mobiles across from St. Ignace to Mackinac Island. It doesn't happen every year only if the lake freezes enough. 

When we were up in Upper Peninsula last weekend we stopped by to see if the route was open. It was!








I find the whole thing rather fascinating. I would love to spend a winter on the island just to document it!

12 comments:

  1. Loving the idea of that safe ice bridge. What a good way to use old Christmas trees. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! The integrity of the ice is checked at intervals and the trees are replaced if they fall.

      Delete
  2. Is that the first time you've seen the line of Christmas trees? It's definitely a wonderful sight. Have you ever been to the island? I wonder how different things will look without cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually isn't. We went, for the first time a couple of years ago. Husband wanted to see it as we had heard about it on a documentary about the island. We have been there a few times during summer. It is extremely busy but fun to walk around. There is an old fort there and a small, really busy shopping street. The film Somewhere in Time featuring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour was filmed there at the iconic Grand Hotel. I would love to spend a whole year there documenting the island. A dream!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos. I love it.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thanks for including your blog. I'm going to check it out!

      Delete
  4. I love that idea of an ice bridge - fascinating! And it's coming to the muddy season. Still, less snow can't be bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really interesting. I know, muddy and icy season isn't my favourite, but still, that means it's closer to spring!

      Delete
  5. That is so interesting. Thanks for posting about it. What a neat idea with the Christmas trees. Wonder if they just fall into the lake when it thaws?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to look to see what happens to them after, but couldn't find out the information. If we go visit I will be sure to ask!

      Delete
  6. How interesting to hear about the island and the ice bridge! Love the idea of the Christmas trees marking the safe path!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know the part about being cut off all winter. I have had a hard time going over that bridge in the summer - couldn't or wouldn't go over it in windy winter! I don't even know if I could do the snowmobile over the ice thing. I would be afraid out in the middle...aahaha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.