Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Sunday Adventure

 It was quite a fun day today. It was chilly and mostly cloudy but we got out and had a good time. It was a good bird day. We saw several different kinds of duck at Grand Haven State Park and had a little walk along the beach. We then meandered back down the lakeshore and stopped at Holland State Park where we saw more different ducks and a juvenile Bald Eagle who sat in a tree near the channel. A couple passing by said it had been a regular visitor for a few days - a nice treat for us though as we don't usually see them down where we live. While in Holland we decided to stop at Windmill Island Gardens. This is where they have the tulip festival in May. We've never been but we were close so we thought we'd at least see what the place looked like. There is a windmill there that was brought over from Holland. This area of Michigan is quite well known for its Dutch population. Hence the windmill, I suppose. Obviously at this time of year none of the buildings were open but you could walk around the grounds. We got to see the Windmill up close. Also as we walked past the river we saw a Kingfisher. 

As we made our way back home driving along some back roads husband saw something in a tree and safely pulled over to the side of the road (there was nobody behind us). We looked up in the tree and there sat a Kestrel! It's the first time I've seen one in the wild. It was very pretty. When we got home and I was having a hot flush I decided to sit outside for a few minutes and got to see a hawk land in the tree close to me. 

So - as you can see - quite a bird day! I haven't been seeing a lot of wildlife on my daily walk at all so I was really pleased. 

I've made a list for tomorrow and a meal plan (and what I need to pick up from the shops) so I am on track to begin the week. How was your weekend? I know there is a pretty strict lockdown in the UK. Mum is a little more resigned to it this time I think. It is winter so she usually spends more time inside, but still it isn't easy. 

Photo of the day - yesterday's sunrise. So happy to see one! We haven't had a lot of sunshine lately. 



8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a really nice day and a fun adventure! How lovely to see so many different kinds of birds! Lovely photo of the sunrise, too - it looks so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are your kestrels the same as here? It's almost impossible Not to see one when driving anywhere out in the country, but no bald eagles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are a little different. My first time seeing one! There are a LOT of hawks around especially lately, but I don't see Kestrels.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely bird day! The sunrise photo is beautiful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a Kestrel nesting box on our barn. A pair come EVERY year and have babies. They are beautiful. I loved your eagle picture on instagram btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I wish! Thanks. I was really excited to see that one.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.