Pages

Friday, March 31, 2023

Last Day of March - Spring has NOT arrived in Minnesota

I'm still here in Minnesota. I fly back to Michigan on Sunday. It's the last day of March and I don't think that Minnesota has heard that it's supposed to be Spring. We had freezing rain this morning and now we are under a Winter Storm Warning with snow expected. It's been a lazy day for us here in Minnesota. We have been relaxing at the house. Yesterday we went out to shop and I think it wore us both out! Shopping isn't my most favourite thing to do, but there is a lovely craft store here and lots of charity/thrift stores. I'm not a clothes person but I really need some lightweight trousers to hike in. I did find a couple of pairs that will do for the spring time! I'm really happy to pay a lot less than full price for some really lighthly worn trousers. 

While out yesterday we did stop by the Mississippi River so I could take a quick walk. I was hoping to get some photos of the river, but the snow was so deep off the path I didn't want to end up in snow up to my knees! While walking I did see three eagles sitting in the trees along the river. I have seen - and photographed - quite a few eagles this week. They seem to be everywhere around here. I know there are at least two nests at the Wildlife Refuge near where daughter lives, but I'm not sure where this threesome had their nest. There were two adults and one juvenile. I managed to catch a sort-of photo of the grown pair together. I know they are full grown as their heads are completely white. Their heads turn white about 5 years old. Females are larger than males. 



The pair together. 



One by itself. 

I've had a good visit, but I am sort of looking forward to going home. Spring is Springing in Michigan and I don't want to miss the returning birds! I miss husband of course too. 

I can't believe it's the end of March! I have to make plans for April. I am certainly looking forward to the warmer weather that is hopefully coming. It was 0F/-18C here the other morning - that is TOO cold!


9 comments:

  1. Spring does take its time making it up there, doesn't it? Lovely photos of the bald eagles! Hope the rest of your visit goes well and you have a safe flight home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, it does take a while in Minnesota. There is another Winter Storm Watch for mid week!

      Delete
  2. That's cold! Hope it's warmer in Michigan when you get back. Here we just keep getting rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is. Yes, it's a bit warmer, but it's been very wet my husband says

      Delete
  3. That's cold! Hope it's warmer in Michigan when you get back. Here we just keep getting rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to get close enough to eagles in the wild to be able to photograph them. I've only seen eagles that close in bird sanctuaries, so not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many near where daughter lives. There are at least three nests that I could see. It was great to see them daily.

      Delete
  5. Those birds are stunning. You certainly have spectacular wildlife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were lovely. I don't see so many in my part of Michigan but where daughter lives there are a lot of them.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.