Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Behind as Usual - Snow and Antics on the Hill

 It's been a week of ups and downs. Tuesday we ended up with about 5 inches of snow! I didn't go out for a walk. I thought about it a little later on and looked out the window to see someone struggling up the hill (video later below) and decided not to. Husband says my car can easily make it and he's probably right as I have four-wheel drive, but honestly, I just didn't want to stress myself out just to go for a walk! When he came home after work he took me to the post office and to do my food shop. By then the roads, at least were clear. 

Wednesday, I did go for a walk. Almost slipped over a couple of times as some of the snow had heated up, started to melt and then refrozen into ice. I was glad I went as it was quite pretty. 

A couple of phone photos from my walk






I love that stream in the winter. In the summer the light always hits it the wrong way and it just looks...plain. In winter, the light hits at the right angle and it's always pretty. 

I did manage to get a few things done on Wednesday. Not as much as I had hoped though!

This morning was a bit warmer - just below freezing when I went for a walk. As yesterday when I went it was a little slippery and icy I wore my Yaktrax today. They are things that go on the bottom of my boots to help grip in the ice. The temps yesterday got up above freezing, things melted and then froze again so I knew it would be quite icy. I was glad I wore them! I didn't slip once despite the ice. 

The beavers had been at another tree. It was halfway down, balanced precariously against another tree so it hadn't hit the ground. Another walker took photos and was emailing the man in charge to let him know about it. 



It's pretty close to the beavers' lodge (you can see it to the left of the photo). They have started chewing on the tree behind too! The wire you see around the other trees is to protect the oak trees. Busy beavers. 

It warmed up this afternoon (a high of 51f/11c) so most of the snow is gone. Tomorrow looks like rain then maybe some mixture and snow at the weekend. Temps are going up and down. Tomorrow a high of 39F/4C.

All the ups and downs drive me crazy. I'm battling a cold and seem to go between boiling hot and freezing cold. Sigh. 

Lastly, the promised video. Little back story, we live on a hill. People cut through our neighbourhood - especially since they redid the main road at the top of our street (and messed it all up but that's another story). They don't know the roads. They obviously don't know that if you go two streets over the road is flat. When it's icy out our road can be really slippery. 



He's on his way back down at this point. After this he did try to turn in our driveway and back down the hill. Thought he would get stuck, but he gave up and ended up backing down the hill where the saga continues. 



After this he did try coming up the hill again, but finally gave up and went along the flat road. I'm really glad that wasn't me! I am also glad that he wasn't hurt and other cars that did pass by did so carefully. 

Back tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. The video of the truck sliding reminded me of the time when a friend and I were driving (she was driving, I was the passenger) in Wisconsin, one Thanksgiving weekend - we had just dropped her mother off where she worked and on the way back, we skidded right down a side street that went downhill and when we tried to go back up the street, the car kept skidding and got stuck in a snowbank! We eventually abandoned the car and walked to her mother's work place and stayed there until my friend's father came and picked us up!

    Lovely, snowy photos!
    I hope you recover from your cold, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That sounds like my nightmare. I hate driving in it. My husband and my children are all very good drivers in the snow. I didn't learn to drive until I was 30 though and I think that's part of the reason I'm so anxious in it.

      Thanks - the cold seems to be hanging around but not getting any worse! I'm hoping it will get better next week. I'm hoping to get my flu and covid shots before leaving for my daughter's house!

      Delete
  2. Glad to know the Yaktraks are effective. I kept the ones I ordered and hope they work the same magic for me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaktrax are great. We don't often get enough snow to worry about but the downside is that when we do no-one knows how to drive in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mine. I use them a lot during the winter and even spring when the snow melts and then re-freezes.

      That not knowing how to drive in the snow happens here too! A lot. You would think that people who grew up here, learning to drive here would know how to drive in the snow, but there are lots of slide offs when people go to fast for the conditions. That's part of the reason I don't like driving in the snow. People are so impatient.

      Delete
  4. Your photos are so beautiful. I do love snow but glad I wasn't driving that truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      Yes, seeing that truck on the hill cemented the fact that I was going nowhere.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.