Pages

Friday, December 16, 2016

The Stockings are hung.... - Five on Friday

No, actually they are not. The tree is not yet up, the stockings are still in the cupboard and the wrapping has barely began. The shopping isn't even finished yet. Arrgg. I can't be the only one feeling behind. I thought I was doing really well. I think it's more the expectation I put on myself rather than others putting on me. I don't really feel in the 'holiday spirit'. There is plenty of snow outside. It looks really pretty but it isn't fun to be out in. It's so cold out that the snow has turned all crunchy. Daughter had been up earlier in the week to visit a friend in the town she used to live and had to drive back this morning when the roads were quite bad. She said it was really surprising as just 90 miles away (where she had gone) it wasn't bad at all - just when you got close to our town!

Enough of that - here's my five. Rather random, but no lights or tree to show!


Nothing like lovely homemade soup and cheese toasties when the weather is cold outside! In this case it is Leek and Potato. Yum.


Bread and Butter Pudding. It is made by my friend as a gift for me. She makes it for me for my birthday and Christmas. It is just delicious! She has to hide it from her family so I can have it. Good friends and good food and especially pleasant at this time of year.


Homemade cracker boxes filled with yummy chocolates and handed out to friends. The friend who made me the pudding loves Cadbury Twirls. I always bring her some back when I go home and I picked the minis out of my box of Heroes to put in her box.


Wrapping has begun, but it is not that pretty as, admittedly, I am not that good at wrapping. I compensate by putting the presents nicely in bags. Obviously that hasn't happened yet either. Wrapping is taking place in my craft room so at least I can make a mess and no-one is any the wiser!

Lastly, I'll wrap up with pictures of a couple of the live Christmas Trees we've had that we ended up planting in the garden. I have visions of decorating them maybe with bird feeders and such, but at this point the snow in the back garden is deeper than my boots and I don't relish the thought of cold, wet feet.



These were taken a few days ago - there has been more snow since then! Unless there is a dramatic warm-up we will be having a white Christmas. We are under a Winter Weather Advisory from 7am tomorrow morning until 7am Sunday morning. This one, if believed, could bring another 7 inches of snow and maybe some freezing rain!

14 comments:

  1. No tree or lights here yet either although all cards and presents are done, posted and distributed. Your soup looks so warm and tasty especially welcome with all the snow outside. Stay warm and have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get there, just breath... :-) Brrr...that snow looks cold! But pretty..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup and winter go together. ... Leek and potato -- yum! The snow looks pretty, but I wouldn't want to be out driving in it! Stay warm and Merry Merry Merry~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness me so much snow. Stay safe and warm and do not worry about if you are ready or not as you say I am sure the pressure comes from yourself, I know that is true for m too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such yummy things! Snow at Christmas looks beautiful, mostly at photos, but it makes the life not easier, sigh! I'm thankful for every day without snow...
    Snow makes me a feeling, as I want to sleep the whole time, like a lot of animals.
    Happy Christmas time and good luck for all, what is still to do

    ReplyDelete
  6. Local climates are strange. My father used to swear that whenever he visited Blackpool it rained.

    If it's any comfort, you are further on than I am for Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll need some more soup to keep you warm with all that snow on the cards. I must admit twirls are a favourite of mine too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those snow covered trees look just beautiful! But I don't blame you for not wanting to be out in the snow! I am another one who is not ready with my decorating or gifts for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leek and potato is my favourite soup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Leek and potato soup, but I leave it lumpy! I'm behind too, hard to get everything done with my broken wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. May you be warm and cozy and safe as you and yours celebrate Christmas. Maybe after the new year you can decorate those trees that the snow is decorating now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, I hope that the weather hasn't got any worse for you since you wrote this and that you are all safe and warm and cosy. Soup is a good idea for cold weather isn't it! Lovely crafting and making and I am sure that your wrapping is great! Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your wrapping looked OK to me, the paper was gorgeous. Leek and potato soup and bread and butter pudding I am in food heaven, wonderful winter food. I don't envy you all that snow despite the beauty of it. My card arrived yesterday and it is beautiful, you are certainly a talented card maker, thank you so very much. I will share it with everyone tomorrow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe...if you and your daughter put the tree up, together, it'll be more festive feeling and fun for you. And back in the day, people didn't put trees up until Christmas eve anyway! Your presents look nice. I didn't see anything wrong with the wrapping at all. I never bother with ribbons and bows. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas holiday. Count your blessings ;-)

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.