Pages

Friday, December 9, 2016

Week in Review - Five on Friday

Friday means joining up with Amy at Love Made My Home for another Five on Friday. This week I'm going to post five things from my week. Not very exciting but wanted something a little different from what I usually post for Five on Friday.

Makes - I've been busy getting the last of my Christmas-y crafts finished this week. I got my Mum's calendar off in the post to her and the cards going to England. I also got a mini-album of Mum's birthday finished up. I'll post it next week along with a couple of gifts to her.


I love making these. This was especially fun to make as it was for Mum.




Reading - I haven't felt like doing much reading lately which is a shocker for me. Usually I read a lot - rarely without a book. I have one I'm halfway through. It isn't that it's bad - I just haven't felt like reading.


This is the blurb from the back:
Tess Delaney loves illuminating history; returning stolen treasures to their rightful owners and filling the spaces in people's hearts with stories of their family legacies. But Tess's own history is filled with gaps: a father she never met, and a mother who spent more time traveling than with her daughter.
Then the enigmatic Dominic Rossi arrives on her San Francisco doorstep with the news that the grandfather she's never met is in a coma and that she's destined to inherit half of a hundred-acre apple orchard estate called Bella Vista. The rest is willed to Isabel Johansen, the half sister she never knew she had. Isabel is everything Tess isn't, but against the rich landscape of Bella Vista, with Isabel and Dominic by her side, Tess begins to discover a world where family comes first and the roots of history run deep.

Watching - I've been watching Miss Marple re-runs. Nothing like the classics. Really easy to watch...and sometimes fall asleep to.


On Sunday we were watching Sherlock and the Abominable Bride, but there was a sudden boom and the power went out. We were only about fifteen minutes from the end. Middle Son was watching with us but he went home when the power went out so we didn't get to see the end! Hopefully this Sunday, if middle son comes to visit (hopefully no snow on Sunday!).

Food/Cooking - I have been quite good this week with my menu planning and using up foods. I plan to keep using food out of the freezer. I did buy some meat as it was on sale. I am trying to be sure to rotate freezer meats.


Slow cooker Chicken and dumplings tonight. It didn't get above freezing today so a nice warm meal when hubby and older son got home from work.


Earlier in the week I made some crisps out of potatoes that were nearing their end. I have to work out how to put flavours on them. They were really tasty. I have some mince to use up tomorrow so I have to put my thinking cap on and come up with something other than cottage pie lol.

Walks/Winter - the weather is certainly on the turn now. It didn't get above freezing today and we have a Winter Storm Warning in effect. We are quite close to the lakeshore so we get what they call Lake Effect Snow. Yuck. I read a post on Sue's blog Our Quiet Life in Suffolk about Winter and how there is beauty in Winter. This year I'm really going to try to see it and try to complain about it a little less.

Daughter and I went for a walk with her dog on Wednesday. Good day to go as it was before the storm.


Look how wonderfully blue the sky was! So deceiving as it was pretty cold!


Shasta was really tempted to jump down into the water - luckily daughter stopped her. Brrr....

The weather turned on Thursday. I need to take a deep breath and appreciate the beauty of the snow. This is the view outside my house Thursday night.


 This is the view Friday morning up the road.  Still snowing but I don't think it's as bad as they said it would be.


 I might - MIGHT - pull out my snow boots and take a little walk outside Friday morning in the newly laid snow.

18 comments:

  1. Brrr! You have snow - hope you enjoy your walk in it! I like the sound of the book about the apple orchard. Love those old Miss Marples, the music is lovely. Hope you getto see the last bit of Sherlock:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice is melting off our trees this morning but I have heard cracking and thumping as some branches fall. I hope you enjoyed a snowy walk. I admire your crafting and cooking and I like to watch Mrs. M, too, but have not for some time. I have been watching Christmas movies! Happy weekend!

      Delete
  2. Would popcorn seasoning work on home made crisps (which look awesome, btw)? I love that album, it looks gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you do get to see the end of your Sherlock episode, that would be so hard to miss the end of something like that. It's a good episode, too ;) Your snow and lake photos are lovely although I also much prefer a warm, sunny day and am trying to find enjoyment in today's 18 degree weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness it looks really cold with all that snow. Your Mum is going to be so pleased to receive your lovely gifts. Have a great weekend, hope you don't lose the power again. Keep cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh snow already! I am glad that we don't have any, I hope you are enjoying yours. Your cards are beautiful and will be well received I am sure. I love Miss Marple too, my favourite is the 4.50 from Paddington. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post - Old Miss Marples are my favourites too... Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful blue sky and water, a day to enjoy... and now a lot of snow -
    Your cards and the album is beautiful.
    Boah, I don't like criminal movies without end, but: c'est la vie!
    Have a happy time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cards and that mini album all look lovely! The pictures of the snowy countryside look lovely, too, but cold! I've become spoiled by highs in the mid-60s in winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paprika would work well on the potatoes, might be worth a try. e haven't had any snow yet apart from on the highlands of Scotland, it always looks so beautiful but like you I am not really a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love snow but I guess it only happens occasionally so I don't have time to get fed up of it. I love the Joan Hickson Miss Marples too. I'll have to look mine out. Perfect holiday viewing :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make all sorts of stuff with mince - italian sauce, cottage pie, chilli, burgers, I love using it. I hope you found something nice to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice five, what lovely cards you've made. Miss Marple is good for all of us and whatever ails us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,Sharon
    Such pretty and heart warming your Christmas-y crafts!!!I like those snowy photos! I bought snow boots 2 years ago, longing for snow comes. Snow rarely comes in my area....!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your crafts are lovely. I just posted my cards to England too. What fantastic scenery on your walk. I'm visiting from Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have snow too. And we're supposed to get 4-6 more inches tonight, but I think they might have miscalculated. I hope! Your cards are very nice. You are the second person to post that you haven't been getting into reading lately. I haven't either. I've read a few of Susan Wiggs novels. Love watching Miss Marple. I also enjoy the Cranford series in the winter months. Kind of a tradition with me. Stay warm!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joan Hickson is the best Miss Marple ever - I got a box set for my 40th birthday. I love snow especially this time of year,but I understand why you may dread it if it happens all the time. Your cards are lovely. Have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your shaker cards are delightful. Wish I had a bowl of those dumplings and Miss Marple movie to watch.

    No snow for us yet here in the middle of the USA, but maybe some Christmas night. We'll see. Weather can change rapidly here in the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.