Pages

Monday, December 5, 2016

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Daughter's move went well. They got home just before this started.


They had a little time to recover and relax from the move before there was big boom and the power went out! It was off for two hours. It was starting to get a little chilly just before it came back on.

There was still snow on the ground this morning. I decided to wrap  myself up and take a walk. Soon there will be too much snow and ice on the ground to take a good walk so I thought I'd get one in while I could.


I was glad I wore my boots. The pavements weren't particularly bad (mostly just wet/snow patches) but this little bridge going over the lake was totally covered in snow. The paths around the lake were pretty snow covered/muddy too.

This place is called Asylum Lake. It used to be part of the property surrounding the Michigan Asylum for the Insane (that's what it was actually called!). It was begun back in 1888 and used to be part of a whole farm system that the inmates worked. It is now a wildlife preserve owned by the local university.



It's a really nice place to walk that is only about a twenty minute walk from my house. Of course it's nicer to walk there when it isn't as cold! My poor trousers ended up soaked. My feet were kept warm by my lovely hiking boots (best investment this year!).


You can see the beginnings of a thin layer of ice forming on the top of the lake. It won't be long until the whole thing is frozen over.


The only wildlife I saw was these couple of swans and a really fast squirrel. No deer though I did see tracks. It was a lovely start to the day.

4 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful......but chilly. Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have felt odd when the power went off. Those pics are lovely, especially the swans. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that your daughter's move went well and the power came back on in two hours. Do you have a non-electric source of heat if the power goes off for longer periods of time?

    Your pictures are beautiful! Definitely a winter wonderland! But stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.