Pages

Friday, January 5, 2024

End of the Week - Some 2024 Goals

I was going to write this post of the beginning of the year but there was so much more to share. I have been thinking about goals for 2024 so I thought I'd share a few. They aren't absolutes. I won't berate myself if I don't get them done, but they are areas that I want to work on. There will probably be more house things I want to do, but once I know when I'm going home I'll be able to put more of a plan in place. 

These are what I know I want to work on (house)

* I would like to clear the house of 20% of 'things'. 

A lofty goal. I know where I am going to start. I have decided that I am willing to let go of a lot of books. This is one of my tough areas. Books are one of my go-to buys when I'm feeling down. I have been telling myself that I don't need them. I have lots of books on my kindle and there is always the library. I have a LOT of books. They are tucked away everywhere. Even if I got rid of 50% of my books, I'd still have more than I could read in a couple of years (and I read quite a few!). The bookcase downstairs is where I am going to start. 

* Low spend year. 

I'm not doing a no-spend. I honestly don't think that attainable for me. I'd fail miserably and end up going entirely off the wagon. It's more about thinking what's coming into the house and where I am spending money. Husband would like to retire in a few years, so we need to start really thinking about where we are spending money and what's really important to us. We won't have loads of money when he does retire BUT we should be able to pay bills and have a little extra. We don't eat out a lot or go to bars, but I (yes, mainly me) do tend to buy 'stuff' - books, crafty things - and I want to get into the mindset to really think about what I am spending or bringing into the house. If you think about it, this goal is connected to the goal above. 

* Ebay selling

I've been doing a bit of Ebay selling - for some of Jane's stuff and for some of my craft items. I really want to continue this, but I need to get organised and if it doesn't sell within x amount of time it needs to leave the house. This also couples with the first item as the cleared bookshelf will hold (organised so I know where things are and so they aren't cluttering up other areas of the house) Ebay items. 

* Craft Room 

This really needs to be sorted this year. I'm determined to have a low (really low) spend craft year and to sell or donate extra items. It makes me feel a little bad as I spent money on these things - which is why I'd like to try Ebay-ing them first and I have had good success especially with some cross stitch things - but having a full craft room does not make me feel crafty or productive! It's time to use it or lose it. 

I have a whole other list of photography goals but that will wait until another post! If I do want to accomplish some of my goals, I also have to work on time management and how I can do things I want with those things I need to get done. We'll see!

If nothing else, being away from home is giving me a clearer head to see where I want things to go!

5/366 

Phone Photos - Things That Make Me Smile

Another joyful day, lots of granddaughter time, but also a chance to get out for a walk while they went to the doctors and picked up SIL's Mother. I walked down by the river. It was nice to get outside



Only a little bit of ice on the Mississippi River. Usually it's pretty icy at this time of year!

Back tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. Have fun with all the clearing up and out when you get back home.
    That's one good thing about moving house three times in ten years - it does help with getting organised and passing on things not needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how bad it will be if we decide to move! I think that's part of the reason I want to get a head-start on it! We used to be really good when husband was in the military as we moved quite a few times, but once we got out and got settled things seemed to gather.

      Delete
  2. Whenever I hear or read of others' plans to declutter I feel inspired to follow suit. Sadly, the inspiration does not translate into action! Good luck with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying. It seems that just when I get into a momentum something happens and I get sidetracked! I'm hoping being away for a long period will inspire me.

      Delete
  3. I really like your goals and I think you will be able to achieve them. Maybe you can "shop" from your stash when you get the urge to shop! Or, allocate yourself a small amount ($10-$20) of guilt-free spending money in your budget. It's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping from my stash sounds like a good idea. The small amount of discretionary spending is the reason I'm saying low-spend rather than no-spend. I want to allow myself a little bit to spend. It's sometimes nice to treat yourself!

      Delete
  4. Those are good goals. Slow and steady. Patience with yourself. Even 1 thing gone is good....I see I'm preaching to myself as well....ahaha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.