Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Another Adventure in Knitting

It's been a while since I've done a knitting post. I am still plugging along. I've (finally) mastered the slip knot and casting on, knitting and purling is pretty simple, so I thought it was about time I gave something more a go. Knitting abbreviations seem like a foreign language still and every new stitch has me looking for a Youtube video to go along with it.

I've been knitting squares from this book


I really like it. I'm more of a hands-on learner and seem to do better watching someone do the stitches - which is where Youtube comes in. I've learned slip stitches, yarn overs, decreasing and increasing stitches and even done a cable stitch!



I like how they've turned out! I'm feeling a little more confident to try something else. I still have to give changing colours a go - looks a little difficult to work out just how to make sure the stitch is the colour you want.

I'm still determined to get those hedgehog mittens done by next winter!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, nice! You are doing a great job, trying out lace patterns and cables! I did something similar, where I knitted different squares in various colors and patterns and then, joined them all with black yarn to make a blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's the best way for me to learn.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon
    Love that variegated purple yarn! Congrats on teaching yourself to knit! I've been knitting for almost as long as I can remember and occasionally do a "knit" post. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum is a knitter and I really wanted to give it a try. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

      Delete
  3. Your squares are fantastic!! I love the cabled one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cable one was my Mum's idea. We Skyped on Saturday and I was showing her my squares and she told me I should try a cable one. I'll be showing her it this Saturday when we Skype. She's been knitting for as long as I can remember and is definitely a master at the craft.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.