Pages

Friday, March 31, 2017

Wrapping up another Week

Weeks just seem to be flying by. It's Friday again and I'm joining in with Tricky over at FAST - Family Attempting to Survive the Times for another Five on Friday.

In this post I'm just wrapping up the week with five random things from my week. Feeling a little down this week - too much rain, not enough sunshine and too much paying attention to the news. I really need to just take a break from it for a while as it is all a little depressing.

Here's what I've been up to


Using up food leftovers. I'm really trying hard to cut down on the amount of food waste we have. I hate throwing things out. I'm working on clearing out the cupboards and freezer and rotating goods. The evening meal this week included Quesidillas made with leftover chicken and the remainders of barbeque sauce from the fridge. I paired this with some salad stuff my MIL had given us.


Mine was made with a couple of different cheeses and some onions. I sometimes toss in mushrooms if I have any leftover.


Reading - I really enjoyed this book. I'm still trying to sort out books (took another two bags to library bookshop this week!). This one had been on my shelf for a while so I picked it up with the thought that it would be packed off to the library. I opened it up and started reading and couldn't stop! Wonderful story. It was a sort of time travel romance with a twist. I really enjoyed it.

Knitting - I've progressed onto easy hats. Very easy hats - ha  ha. I thought I'd at least give them a try. I managed two different styles. I am quite pleased with myself as they turned out not too bad.



I like the first one better. I think it might be the kind of yarn. It's a little more stretchy. I might make another! I'm trying out some wrist thingys now - wish me luck! I finally found a pattern for some fingerless mittens that are knitted with two needles and not in the round. I wouldn't mind trying circular needles but I don't think I'm coordinated enough to use double pointed needles. Yikes! They look scary and complicated.

Lots of rain this week. It rained Saturday and Sunday, drizzly and dull Monday and Tuesday, Sunny Wednesday and rainy again Thursday and probably today too. Sigh. The good news is that things are finally beginning to grow.


These tiny, tiny flowers are beginning to grow in the garden. They are really small - way smaller than a penny but it is more colour than I have seen in ages.

Apparently there are some things living in my garden


While taking photographs one morning I found these laying on the grass. And while I was out trying to capture the morning dew on a funny looking plant this tiny fellow hopped in the frame.



When I was checking out my photos I accidentally zoomed in and wow it looks really weird!


Shudder. I don't usually like creepy crawlies, but this was smaller than half the nail on my little finger so nothing to be scared of lol.

Hope everyone had a good week and the sun shines for the weekend.

19 comments:

  1. ooo the spider! I had chicken quesadillas too! Yes, gloomy, raining just like the news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a great way to use up leftovers. My family loves them!

      Delete
  2. I love the hats! I have to admit I've not done much knitting lately, just a selection of scarves in various colours. I suspect the first hat is more stretchy because it's knitted in rib, but the white one is in stocking stitch.If you want REAL stretch you need what I know as moss stitch - but it's time consuming. (It might also be called seed stitch in some places - and moss stitch is something else. http://www.creativeknittingmagazine.com/blog/?p=827 )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips. I'm a really novice knitter so any tips are welcome. I've also found out I must be a tight knitter as none of my gauge squares seem to be right. I have to adjust a couple of needle sizes. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. The spider looks huge! I think we're all hoping for a blue sky rather than rain. Let's hope it's a good weekend. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're having us on aren't you?
    That spider looks at least as big as a dinner plate...lol.
    So sorry you have been feeling down Sharon....here....have a hug....(((((HUG))))-x-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden surprises were a delight to see. Love the knitted hats. And what fun to find a really captivating read in a book you were about to give away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a big fan of spiders, don't kill them because that's bad luck, but really don't like them.
    Nice hats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to read too and shall look if I can fin Beatriz Williams' book at my library. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quesadillas sound delicious, we love making them here. We are lucky that all our leftover food goes to the chickens or compost so there isn't any waste as such.
    Thanks for joining in with Five on Friday, have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you need a hug .. ((hug)). Chicken quesadillas sound wonderful. We are preparing for thunderboomers tomorrow. UGH. Your spider friend is impressive all "blown up"! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The spider looks scary so I'm glad you pointed out how small it actually was. Your hats are great, I particularly like the grey one. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you tackling the leftovers with yummy quesadillas!
    I love purple flowers & this looks like a pretty harebell.
    The spider is cool! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds as if we've had the same depressing weather. The sun did peek out just for a moment this afternoon though. Very cool photo of the spider. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those feathers looked interesting. I like both your hats. Double pointed needles are no problem - you only knit with two at any given time, just as if they were regular, straight needles. You just have to make sure the stitches stay on, on the others that are not being worked on. Circular needles, on the other hand, are something else as far as I am concerned! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. the quesadilla looks yummy. and the spider.... uuuuuu.... really big isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You take such beautiful pictures and you are doing really well with the knitting. I'm sure you can attempt anything! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely as always to catch up with what you have been doing! Not keen on spiders, but it is a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy - quesadillas! Love the hats. They look great!! Someday I hope to learn some knit or crochet. ;)

    Lovely growing things - but not so much love for the spider! Lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.