Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2022

Weekend - Lighthouse visits

 I actually had a good weekend. I didn't get a lot done. Although I did make a grocery list and remembered to take it with me! The shelves were sadly quite empty at the shop we went to. It was really busy out this weekend and we aren't sure why! It looked like pre-Christmas in some place. Either something is going on that we don't know about or everyone is out buying after the snow storms we've late this week. I have a couple of items that I couldn't get so shall have to go out later in the week on a day I'm not going to Jane's. We shall be back sorting Mon, Wed and Friday - as long as the weather cooperates. I don't like driving in the snow if I can help it. 

Speaking of snow. It was quite snowy on the roads on Saturday morning. I was so glad husband was driving or I would have stayed home! It was lovely and sunny though so we went to the lakeshore as I heard there was some ice on the lighthouse. It was very cold. I bundled up with layers, double socks, double gloves and hand warmers! 

We went to two lighthouses that aren't far from one another. The second one is pretty close to where our middle son lives and we had to drop off something to him so we decided to stop there too. 

These are phone photos from our morning out. 


The above two are from South Haven Lighthouse. We didn't go all the way out to the end as the waves were coming over the end of the pier and it was just a sheet of pure ice. We did have Yaktrax on our boots. They are grippers for shoes. 

The next one is from St Joseph Lighthouse (near where our son lives). This is my photo for Day 8 of my 365 Phone Photo Things That Make Me Smile challenge. 

I really enjoy going to see the ice on the lakes in winter. It makes for brightening up what is usually a really dull, long winter. It especially made me smile on Saturday as the sun was shining so brightly! At least for a time. Not long after I took this photo the clouds rolled in. We did not walk any further down the pier btw. 

Sunday was a windy day here in Michigan so that means another visit to the lakeshore, this time a little further up the lake. We stopped at Grand Haven Lighthouse and Holland Lighthouse. I hope to share my camera photos soon. I do have a bit of video I recorded at Grand Haven. It was so cold and the wind was just howling!  I stayed on the beach and didn't venture onto the pier at all as the waves were crashing over the barriers and the actual walkway was coated with thick ice.  A couple of people looked as though they might go up on it but once they caught sight of the waves thankfully they stayed away!


My Phone Photo Day 9 Things That Make Me Smile is my comfy pair of Penguin PJs. I put them on to warm me up when I got home. They are really thick and fluffy. I can't wear the top to bed as it is too hot. I got a size bigger than I needed (they were the only size close to mine) and I have to put a safety pin on the bottoms so they don't fall down. They make me smile because they are warm and comfy and also because they make me think of daughter as she has the same pair and we wore them together and laughed about it. 

I hope everyone had a good weekend!


14 comments:

  1. Oh, my, that clip is so bleak and cold and so beautiful. I'm glad you didn't take risks with all that ice around.
    And the PJs are gorgeous!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had on my ice thingys but that ice, wow, it was so thick and the waves crasing over the sides. Yikes. I managed to get good photos without taking any risk at all.

      Delete
  2. Loved the photos and the video! So hard to tell that is a lake and not the sea! Very cute PJs, too! Penguins with antlers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lake Michigan always amazes me. With the waves crashing as they do you would never know it's a lake yet on clear days you can sometimes see across the other side.

      Delete
  3. I always love your pics. The pier looks like it is wearing boots! And the pyjamas are definitely something to make you smile. They sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ice is really thick, isn't it? It creates such wonderful patterns too.

      Delete
  4. That looks so cold! Lovely photos though. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are amazing. I can't believe the ice! The video, made me shiver just watching it. I did just come in from letting the dogs out too, so that may have helped. I am really enjoying your photo of the day. Have fun digging today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love seeing the ice. I wish it was warmer though lol

      Delete
  6. Had the same problem at the grocery store here in the mid-Atlantic. We had snow twice last week--big storm on Monday (power outages, tree damages, etc.) and a smaller one overnight Thursday. Evidently that was enough to send the supply chain over the edge. Went to pick up my order this morning only to discover: no dairy; no meat; no produce. Barely half my order was available. Talking to the person who brought it out, she said the store is so empty it is unbelievable. They can't get much stock, but when they do put things out, the shelves are immediately emptied. This store is part of a major chain in my region. Think with localized power outages (we were out 26 hours) that a lot of food had to be dumped from fridge/freezers. Hence the need to restock. Just glad I keep a fairly well stocked larder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that does sound like here. I'm lucky too as I do have food on hand - I keep meaning to use some of it, but I'm rethinking of maybe just rotating as I want to get a few things as I see them as things that are in short supply seem to go in rotation!

      Delete
  7. Oh I do love thick fleece pj's. I might buy Tony and I a matching pair and insist he wears them.. and he will with a smile cos he's fun like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol He sounds like a great guy. Daughter and I had a really good laugh in them. We took some selfies and made (I hope) some good memories.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.