Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Winter Has Arrived

Our Winter Weather Advisory has turned into a Winter Storm Warning in effect until Friday 10am morning.  could get anywhere between 4 to 16 inches of snow (according to my weather app). Winds up to 45mph. I am so glad daughter went home yesterday! I would have been terribly worried if she had to drive in blowing and drifting snow. The temperature has dropped too - it is currently 12F/-11C. I'm hoping the snow stays on the lower side of that prediction! They almost always get it wrong!

I did go for a walk this morning. It was already really windy and cold. There was only a little snow coming down so I thought I'd get out while the roads were clear in case I can't walk tomorrow. I hate driving in the snow so I probably won't go out if the roads are bad. It was so quiet at the park. I was apparently one of the few people crazy enough to go out for a walk! It was quite lovely though. I like it when it's peaceful.

I came home and got most of the rest of my washing done. I still have a winter coat to do (that I got from Jane's - it's lovely and long and will be perfect on cold winter days) and a couple of dog hairy blankets (lol). I shall do them tomorrow. I got tidied up the bit in the corner by my chair. I apparently have an abundance of books again. Yikes! I need to read faster (or stop buying books).  There were a couple of really good sales after Christmas that I gave into. 

On that note - buying too many books and other bits - I going to try for a low spend January. I'm not sure exactly what that will entail right now. I know I am staying away from buying craft items. I am actually  trying to think of how to get on a tighter budget for the whole year. Do I just say I'm buying no leisure items or do I give myself a set amount to spend each month? I watched some Youtube videos using the cash envelope method but I'm not sure that will work. As you can tell from my blathering that I'm not sure how this is going to work yet. I just know that I want to be more concious of where money is going. 

Also to do with books - I am going to try to get rid of ten this month. I did really well when I tried this before. I got rid of so many books! It felt good so I need to get back on track. 

A photo from my snowy walk

And my Phone Photo of Things That Make Me Smile 5/365


A nice cup of hot chocolate when I got home from my cold walk. It always makes me smile! Both husband and daughter got me a selection for Christmas - they know me so well!

6 comments:

  1. Brr! Mid-west winters! It's been several years since I last experienced one, but, I remember them well! Stay safe and warm! I didn't know Land O Lakes made hot cocoa! I often buy their butter!

    As for budgeting/spending less, I give myself a personal budget of $10 per month to be spent on any crafts supplies, etc. I stopped buying books for myself, several years ago, and I rarely buy craft supplies now, but, that $10 is there if I need to buy something. Hope that helps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take great pics. The weather sounds alarming - stay safe! If you find anything for the budgeting, please share. I'm just trying to be mindful of what I spend. It's not working that well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got you walk in, that your daughter left and got home yesterday and hope that the snow isn't too bad. When I read of your temperatures, I feel guilty about whinging about our much milder extremes!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOOH yum, now I want hot chocolate. I was going to have coffee mid morning but think hot chocolate might hit the spot nicely. My eyeballs froze when I read -11. Now that is seriously cold and not something I have ever experienced. We're forecast snow today but it will only be a light flurry... I hope x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's coming....predictions of -15 blowing, drifting of the 6-8" of snow from yesterday. I plan to, as soon as it get's light out, add more hay to my chicken coop for nesting and roosting. I have to say, I was always in the lowest reading group, so I am slow at it, but you have inspired me to read more. I am almost done with my first book of 2022. In fact, I read 2 chapters, then my husband reads 2 - not all books will be this way - but, this one he wanted to read too. So, instead of scrolling in the morning we read, drink coffee before work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as well your daughter went home when she did, I'm not surprised that you're relieved.

    I don't envy you having the snowfall. I like it for a day, just long enough to take some photos and then I'm done with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.