Pages

Friday, December 8, 2023

Countdown - a few thoughts

I have six days left to get things bought, wrapped and taken care of so the family here can have a good Christmas AND I'm all packed up and on my way for an extended stay in Minnesota. Yikes. I am running out of time. I feel...well, I'm not pulling my hair out yet, but I am getting a little stressed. On the plus side, the shopping is almost done. 

Today I went for a walk - dropped Ebay things off at the Post Office - laundry - talked to daughter - messaged with sister - sorted out the craft room a bit more and then sat this evening watching Vera repeats. I think things will work out. I have started putting together a few things to take with me. It will certainly be strange - being away from here for Christmas, being away for an extended period - but I am SO very thankful that my daughter would like me there. I'm thankful that she thinks that much of me that she'd like my help. I am going to really try to be helpful and be there for what they need. It's so interesting to watch daughter and her husband navigate adding this new little human addition to their family. 

It's now, especially, that I'm thinking of Mum. She was a really strong woman and could be opinionated in some areas of life. But she was always there to support me, to just be there, not say 'I told you so' or make me feel bad about my decisions. As young as I had my own children, she never told me that I was making mistakes or told me I should do things a certain way. I appreciate that. I'm glad daughter knows that I'll support her and husband as they welcome baby to their family. They are first time parents and that's always a struggle. I think back on having my own children and how careful and overly protective I was of my first one. 

If you've had children, do you remember those days? 

Back tomorrow, hopefully. 



This was taken a while ago. Baby's getting a lot bigger now!

5 comments:

  1. 43 years since my first daughter was born - luckily I've forgotten the worst bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter turns thirty this year and she's my baby! I can't believe how time flies.
      I was talking to daughter just yesterday and asked whether she had a birth plan (I think that's the term today lol). She said not really. She knows it's going to hurt. I told her to just think of the end result, the lovely welcome addition to the family.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful Christmas. Don't forget to take some time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I'll get lots of relaxing in. I do plan on helping with meals and cleaning and taking care of the dogs. I want daughter and husband to be able to enjoy the baby once she comes!

      Delete
  3. How lovely that your daughter wants you to be there for her when she has her baby! My mother was there for me and I'm hoping that I can be there for my daughter. Yes, I remember the early days when my daughter was born. She was 7 weeks premature and I had to have a C-section. It was not easy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.