Pages

Monday, January 16, 2023

It's Monday Again

We did manage to go out for a little bit yesterday. Husband wanted to spend some more time with his brother, so we didn't stay out as long as we usually did. It was fun though. We did what we call The Loop - from our house to one lighthouse, along the lakeshore to another lighthouse and then home. It was chilly and a little breezy but there was some sunshine! I'm glad we got out again as the weather forecast don't show sun for at least another week. 

While we were at the lighthouse, we bumped into a man I sometimes see at a local bird place where he takes photos. He asked us if we were there to see the Red-throated Loon. To be honest, I do like seeing birds and photographing them, but I don't generally go somewhere to see a 'special' bird. We said no and he told us that a Red-throated loon had been seen at the end of the lighthouse, but he hadn't seen it. We walked all the way out there and husband spotted it in the water! That was a nice treat!

Today I did go out for a walk. It was pretty overcast. I did see two of the beavers though so that was nice. I had done my meal plan for the week, checked the cupboards, written a list and headed to the shops to do the food shop. It didn't work out quite the way I wanted. The shelves were pretty bare! This is a pretty large shop, sort of like an Asda style shop, but there were absolutely no frozen vegetables at all. In fact, the frozen section was mostly bare! It didn't look as though they had an electrical failure as there were a few items around, but wow. I got what I could, but I'll have to go back in a couple of days - somewhere else lol.

As it was a sort-of holiday (I say that because the only people who usually have the day off are bank workers and the post office) so daughter had the day off (she works for a bank) so we had a nice chat. Because there was no post today, I have quite a few to go out tomorrow so a trip to the post office will be on the list. I have ten - yes, ten - items that sold over the weekend and had to be packed up today and postage printed (it's cheaper to buy from home). 

At the Lighthouse



At the second lighthouse we went to there were a couple of fishermen out on the pier. Very brave of them, it was below freezing and breezy so felt colder. They even had their chairs strapped to the pier to stop them blowing away! They said they hadn't caught anything, but they must have still been hopeful as they were there when we left too!



Red-throated Loon. 

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

 

11 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see the red throated loon, especially as you hadn't made the trip to look for it! I hope the man who told you about it was able to see the loon, too. Those fishermen are hardy souls, aren't they?
    I wonder why the shelves were bare of frozen vegetables? But, I've been hearing a lot about empty shelves in grocery stores, again. Hopefully, it's just a delay in shipments due to bad weather.
    Hope your day goes well, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do have an update about the empty shelves lol. At least a rumour

      Delete
  2. How great to spot the bird the man was looking out for - and to take a photo too!
    It looks very cold and bleak on the pier. You wouldn't get me fishing there in such cold weather. Brrrrr.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cool to see. I think sitting there like that would be absolutely freezing.

      Delete
  3. We've noticed quite a few empty shelves in supermarkets here. Thankfully I'll be sowing veg seeds this weekend and my garden will continue to feed us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to seeing what you grow. I'm not sure if I'll be able to grow anything or not. The deer seem to think our garden is full of food for them.

      Delete
  4. I have to be moving in the cold so can't imagine a passive activity like fishing in the cold. I too appreciate seeing an interesting bird, but won't go looking unless someone points it out. I wonder if the timing was just off for deliveries at your store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I can't imagine sitting there in the cold. I'd be freezing within minutes!

      Delete
  5. The fishermen sitting there in those temperatures made me smile ... definitely enthusiasts!

    Glad to hear you are able to get out and about and have had a bit of sunshine.

    The empty shelves in the store would have worried me. I still vividly remember the shock of seeing empty shelves in the supermarkets in the days before the first lockdown back in 2020. There is difficulty with supply of frozen goods over here as well, something to do with a shortage of the plastic needed to make the bags that frozen veg is supplied in. Hope you are more successful next time you go shopping. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are enthusiastic. I think they are out there because usually the lake is beginning to freeze and they can't fish. Things have been mild for a few days. Dull and drizzly, but mild (as in just above freezing lol).

      Delete
  6. I've never seen a red throated loon either. That looks soooo cold!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.