Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sunday Adventure - and I saw the sun!

Had a lovely Sunday Adventure and, as the title says, I actually saw the sun. Mind you, we had to go to another state to see it. As soon as we started heading back home the clouds rolled in and well, it was cloudy by the time we got home. 

We decided to go south today. We ended up going down to Michigan City to take a walk along the beach and then on to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. I think I've mentioned this before, but because husband is a veteran we get free admission to National Parks. We decided to check out an old homestead that is included in the National Park. It's strange to call it a park as it is about 20 miles long and encompasses over 15,000 acres. It really is a massive area to explore. There are so many trails and areas of interest. 

We decided to look at the Bailley Homestead. Below is a little information from the website about the homestead history. 

The Bailly Homestead, a National Historic Landmark, was the home of Honore Gratien Joseph Bailly de Messein (1774 - 1835) and Marie LeFevere Bailly (1783-1866). Bailly played a role in the development of the Calumet Region of northern Indiana. He was an independent trader in the extensive fur-trading network that spread from Montreal to Louisiana, and ultimately to Europe. Joseph Bailly was one of the earliest settlers in northern Indiana. In 1822 Bailly set up his fur trading post at the crossroads of several important trails, including the Tolleston Beach and northern branch of the Sauk Trail. He provided a meeting place for Native Americans and Euro-Americans. Except for White Pigeon, Michigan, Bailly's trading post was the only stopping place for travelers and missionaries between Chicago and Detroit. The Bailly Homestead complex is the last remaining site of its nature in the Calumet Region, both in its capacity as a fur trading post and in its vernacular architectural features and construction types. The Bailly Homestead was authorized as a National Historic Landmark in 1962.

It is currently undergoing renovations so we couldn't go inside, but the area was absolutely beautiful. 

Some phone photos



Reflection in the river. 




The main house. You can see where there are supports. 










The middle house was my favourite. It seemed to have a lot of character.  I was glad we were there in the daytime. I think it might have been a little creepier at night lol. 

We didn't get home until later in the day. I did manage to finish up December photos for my project so now onto the next stage!  I am going to give it a rest for a couple of days and work on something else. I have photos from my camera that I took today on our beach walk that I want to get sorted too. 

I have completed a meal plan for the upcoming week (through Sunday). I do have to check the cupboards and freezer as I am sure I have most of the items needed, part of the reason I chose the meals planned lol. 

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! You saw the sun! :D I really like that photo of the cabin in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should make a meal plan too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helped. Even if I just have meals for the week, they are varying in time and energy to make so I can mix them around if I don't feel like cooking a lot one day.

      Delete
  3. I love all the old buildings. Yes, daylight for sure...creepy yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't see too many around here, but I should take the time to look

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.